bridgetm

Gluten-Free In The Twin Cities?

Rate this topic

I'm still new to this and am wondering if anyone has had any experience shopping for gluten-free foods in central Minnesota? I live near Stillwater and have found only one gluten-free store (Woodbury) plus the limited number of aisles at co-ops and a few shelves at the higher end supermarkets. I really wish I could find more variety though. I go to Wal-Mart for cereals and cereal bars; Kowalski's for Lara bars and those other meal in a pouch type snacks; the Stillwater co-op for meats and some frozen things and then Tailor Made Nutrition in Woodbury for Udi's bread and those miscellaneous things I had no idea could be made gluten-free. However, I'd really like a little more variety and these places are so spread out that I usually decide which category I'm lowest on and shop for that thing only, save the rest for another day.

Anyone else in this area? Any tips or tricks for a new shopper on a budget? (I have a feeling this would be easier if not financially limited.)

Have absolutely no budget advice. It is expensive. Eat less? lol

Fresh and Natural in Hudson, WI is good for gluten free shopping. Any price label on the shelf with a red dot is a gluten free item. Makes it easy to shop. Ask for their shoppers card. It offers 10% off when filled. Wednesday is senior day, 5% off is you are 55 or over. I'm glad I'm old! If you are looking for something not on the shelf ask for Sharon, she may be able to order it for you.

Family Fresh has a lot of gluten free items, both stores, Hudson and New Richmond. Deli has gluten free deli meat. They also have a dietitian who can help you if you call and make an appointment. She floats between the two stores. Her name is Mary Jo Brunner. I've been to some of her classes, she's a great resource.

I haven't been to the 'all gluten free' store in Woodbury. I'll be there this weekend scrapping. Maybe I'll stop to see if they have some lunch for me while I scrap.

Great! Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

In some cruel twist of irony, Tailor Made Nutrition is located right next to the Great Harvest bread company. The head baker there told my mom that he's been working on some gluten-free recipes since his neighbor moved in. But they have food as well as cosmetics so it was a great chance find.

The expense of this lifestyle will take some adjustment. Luckily I'll be living right above a college caf for a few more weeks... The ability to get fresh fruit and veggies from there cuts down on my produce costs. All I have to worry about is, well, everything else. I just keep telling myself that in the big picture it's really not that expensive since I'm not eating out or taking advantage of every Pop-Tart or cereal bargain I see anymore. I can handle having less cash if it means less stomach pain.

I'm still new to this and am wondering if anyone has had any experience shopping for gluten-free foods in central Minnesota? I live near Stillwater and have found only one gluten-free store (Woodbury) plus the limited number of aisles at co-ops and a few shelves at the higher end supermarkets. I really wish I could find more variety though. I go to Wal-Mart for cereals and cereal bars; Kowalski's for Lara bars and those other meal in a pouch type snacks; the Stillwater co-op for meats and some frozen things and then Tailor Made Nutrition in Woodbury for Udi's bread and those miscellaneous things I had no idea could be made gluten-free. However, I'd really like a little more variety and these places are so spread out that I usually decide which category I'm lowest on and shop for that thing only, save the rest for another day.

Anyone else in this area? Any tips or tricks for a new shopper on a budget? (I have a feeling this would be easier if not financially limited.)

I am on the north side of the Cities in Coon Rapids. I have been gluten free for a year and a half. Rather than getting all the specialty foods I have tried to find "regular" gluten free foods. I eat a lot of beans and rice. I figured out how to make the cilantro-lime rice from Chipotle! It is delicious!

I have found Target usually has the cheapest prices on Hormel Natural Choice lunch meats (brown box, gluten free). Instead of using bread I'll just eat the meat with some veggies or fruit and chips. For supper I may use gluten free noodles or I'll cook a roast, chili, tacos, etc. All of those ingredients can be bought at a regular store. I hope this helps. It's nice to know I'm not the only one in the Cities dealing with this!

I'm nowhere near where you live, but I do know something about eating cheaply. In fact, my best friend is staying with me for a few weeks while she is in training near my home, and she's teaching me even more! Cut coupons, and buy things when they are on sale with coupons. Eat whole foods and avoid processed (though I too can't resist Udi's bread!) Choose to spend the most money on things -- like Udi's -- that you just can live without. Compare the circulars from the different grocery stores in your area. I do that sunday morning, with my kinnikinnick donut in one hand, relaxing and just enjoying the weekend. I don't have time to go to multiple stores, so I choose the one with most of the good deals, and might visit another store later in the week if the deal is THAT good. Try new things and don't be afraid to get a few cookbooks from the library that have EASY meals. low carb cookbooks are usually easiest for this diet, along with the biggest loser cook books. Great ideas, cheap and easy.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

In some cruel twist of irony, Tailor Made Nutrition is located right next to the Great Harvest bread company. The head baker there told my mom that he's been working on some gluten-free recipes since his neighbor moved in.

Even if Great Harvest starts making gluten free yummy bread, I won't be buying it. All that poison flour hanging about their place would make me want to die. lol

Cut coupons, (though I too can't resist Udi's bread!)

Now I'm dreaming of finding coupons for Udi's bread! That would be so nice.

I've found some good deals on microwave ready Uncle Ben's and Minute rice at Wal-Mart; stocked up on that for dinners at school. This summer I'll probably just go out to Woodbury for the Udi's bread (I just can't bring myself to pay $5 for a loaf of bread that feels like a sponge) and then stock up on cheap veggies at the farmer's market.

Ciavyn: Comparing coupons is a great idea; I've just been too disorganized so far.

SuperMolly: Thanks for the tip on Hormel at Target! I've been careful about lunch meat and usually the cheap ones I find I just can't be sure about.

Ahorsesoul: Yes, all the flour floating around the bakery worries me too. I think I'll just stick with Udi's.

Thank you all for the tips! I love this board!

Even if Great Harvest starts making gluten free yummy bread, I won't be buying it. All that poison flour hanging about their place would make me want to die. lol

Now I'm dreaming of finding coupons for Udi's bread! That would be so nice.

Believe it or not, I get it for less than 5 bucks a loaf around here. Online is 6/loaf! Yikes!