Rate this topic

The recipe calls for sweet rice flour. Can I substitute it with white rice flour???

The recipe calls for sweet rice flour. Can I substitute it with white rice flour???

Hiya:

Sweet rice flour -- or MOCHIKO flour -- is a completely different animal.

You probably should't substitute it.

You can get sweet rice flour in most Asian markets for cheap, or Bob's Red Mill has sweet rice flour as well.

~Allison

Thanks! Thatis a big help!

I've made mochicko in a few things.

It's fantastic!!

I like mochi in general, though :)

Good luck with that recipe!!

~Allison

Sweet rice flour is also called, strangely enough, glutinous rice flour or sticky rice flour, since it is made from the "sticky" variety of rice.

I'd suggest getting it from an Asian market, if possible, as it costs a heck of a lot less. :) It'll probably be called glutinous rice flour there.

I'd suggest getting it from an Asian market, if possible, as it costs a heck of a lot less. smile.gif It'll probably be called glutinous rice flour there.

I lucked out yesterday when I stopped at a business less than a mile from my house (they actually specialize in dozens of varieties of in-house roasted specialty coffees and also carry Asian foods). I found glutinous rice flour, for which I've been searching a long while, for $1.50 for 16 oz. Woo hoo! I have a number of recipes that call for it. This business was recently sold and I was concerned that the new owners might drop the Asian foods.

They also had spring roll wrappers (rice, water and salt), which I also bought for $2.25. Now I need to try to find the thread that gave ideas of how to use them...and that's like searching for a needle in a haystack. Rats! sad.gif Wish I'd saved some of the recipes but never thought I'd find these wrappers so close to home.

I should have checked the price for their white rice flour but didn't since I had just picked up some elsewhere.

I lucked out yesterday when I stopped at a business less than a mile from my house (they actually specialize in dozens of varieties of in-house roasted specialty coffees and also carry Asian foods). I found glutinous rice flour, for which I've been searching a long while, for $1.50 for 16 oz. Woo hoo! I have a number of recipes that call for it. This business was recently sold and I was concerned that the new owners might drop the Asian foods.

They also had spring roll wrappers (rice, water and salt), which I also bought for $2.25. Now I need to try to find the thread that gave ideas of how to use them...and that's like searching for a needle in a haystack. Rats! sad.gif Wish I'd saved some of the recipes but never thought I'd find these wrappers so close to home.

I should have checked the price for their white rice flour but didn't since I had just picked up some elsewhere.

I found the thread about the rice papers: Next to search at top right corner pick "Advanced" picked forum - "coping with" & topic was "fruits and vegetables". Not sure how to post a link directly to it.

I found the thread about the rice papers: Next to search at top right corner pick "Advanced" picked forum - "coping with" & topic was "fruits and vegetables". Not sure how to post a link directly to it.

Thanks so much for your help, kareng!!! I found the thread and knew it was fairly recent:

http://www.celiac.co...and-vegetables/