AmieK

Gluten Free Cosmetics

Rate this topic

Hi all. I was dx with celiac in late Oct. 09. Since getting my diet under control I am feeling much better. I have started to look for other gluten-free products and I am very confused and overwhelmed when it comes to cosmetics. I have used Mary Kay for years and when I contacted them for a gluten-free list I got no where. I continued to contact company after company and I am still confused. I am wondering what brands you ladies have found to be gluten-free.

I have contacted the following; Neutrogena, Mary Kay, and Estee Lauder all said they do not have a list but will check for me on an item by item basis if I contact them. Bare Minerals and Smashbox both sent me an up to date list no problems. I have also looked at lines such as Afterglow that are gluten-free but I have no idea what their products are like. Loreal sent me the following email...

April 22, 2010

Thank you for your interest in L'Or

Amie,

I know, it's really frustrating and confusing. My husband was diagnosed in 2006 and we chose to have a gluten free home so he could feel more comfortable (he's pretty sensitive). I prepare all of his food, so whatever touches my hands (like my face!) could touch his food. That meant I needed to do an overhaul on my makeup. So much has changed since I first started looking - believe me, there are a ton more choices now.

I started a blog to keep track for myself and to help others doing the same hair-pulling search. Actually, quite a bit of info comes from readers adding updates themselves. www.glutenfreecosmeticcounter.blogspot.com. I'm trying to catch up with the growth of the gluten free cosmetic world. Trust me - the last few years have shown a huge improvement and I'm hopeful for more. I have actually seen on some company's website that gluten free cosmetics is there number one phone request! So some companies are listening and responding with decent info.

Anyway, I hope that gives you a place to start. It's not like before when you could just walk into whatever store and get what you feel like, but having some choices makes you feel a lot better about it. Let me know if you have other questions about this (you can respond here or contact me through my blog).

I use Arbonne cleansers & makeup and LOVE them! Arbonne recently changed their ingredients to be gluten-free. The company was very nice to deal with and helpful when I called them with more questions....