MartialArtist

Tinkyada Pasta W/ And W/o Rice Bran

Rate this topic

I was poking around on Amazon looking at the bulk-purchase options for gluten-free products and just now noticed that the Tinkyada pastas are all available w/ and w/o Rice Bran. Turns out the lasagna noodles I bought locally were w/o rice bran and the penne noodles I bought were w/rice bran. Both tasted great and were indistinguishable from regular pastas to me (and I even forgot to set a timer on the penne so I had to guess at the cooking time, which I understand is a disaster waiting to happen with gluten-free pastas).

Anyone have any advice on why to choose one over the other in general? Is the rice bran better for you? Is one more forgiving than the other in terms of cooking time/method? Any other reason to pick one over the other? For some reason, the ones w/rice bran seemed to be slightly cheaper in bulk than the other ones, which I thought was weird unless some of the varieties aren't as good and are therefore less popular. Thoughts?

I was poking around on Amazon looking at the bulk-purchase options for gluten-free products and just now noticed that the Tinkyada pastas are all available w/ and w/o Rice Bran. Turns out the lasagna noodles I bought locally were w/o rice bran and the penne noodles I bought were w/rice bran. Both tasted great and were indistinguishable from regular pastas to me (and I even forgot to set a timer on the penne so I had to guess at the cooking time, which I understand is a disaster waiting to happen with gluten-free pastas).

Anyone have any advice on why to choose one over the other in general? Is the rice bran better for you? Is one more forgiving than the other in terms of cooking time/method? Any other reason to pick one over the other? For some reason, the ones w/rice bran seemed to be slightly cheaper in bulk than the other ones, which I thought was weird unless some of the varieties aren't as good and are therefore less popular. Thoughts?

I personally would avoid the rice bran because of the lectins in it.

I personally would avoid the rice bran because of the lectins in it.

Probably a stupid question, but what is a "lectin"?

Probably a stupid question, but what is a "lectin"?

According to the word of Wiki:

Lectins are sugar-binding proteins that are highly specific for their sugar moieties. They play a role in biological recognition phenomena involving cells and proteins. For example, some viruses use lectins to attach themselves to the cells of the host organism during infection.

Some of us just happen to have a few problems with them and avoid them, or at least foods that are high in lectins. It is impossible to avoid them altogether :o If your body cells have the right keyhole for the particular lectin key lock, you end up with problems :( This is a gross simplification :lol: