BethM55

Successful gluten-free Cake Mix Result!

Rate this topic

Last night I made cupcakes from Dowd & Rogers Gluten Free Dutch Chocolate Cake Mix with Italian Chestnut Flour. Yum! I iced them with a lemon glaze, Yum again! They were a little flat on top, but were light and moist, very chocolaty. My son and his friends (all adults) were here for dinner, hence the dessert baking. No great raves from them, but everyone ate them, and even had seconds. Success, I think. It's a pricey mix, was $6.99, so will be an occasional treat, but so nice to know it's available. I need to buy a 9 inch round cake pan, so I can try this as an actual cake, too.

We had spaghetti for dinner, so I cooked some quinoa spaghetti pasta for myself. It was pretty darn good! Overall, a good meal, and no reactions at all this morning. Nice way to start the week. :D

What did the chestnut flour taste like?

Was it nuttier, richer?

I want to try baking with it eventually, with that and with coconut flour, too.

Congrats on your successful baking venture.

There's nothing like it when it all goes well, is there :)

~Allison

What did the chestnut flour taste like?

Was it nuttier, richer?

I want to try baking with it eventually, with that and with coconut flour, too.

Congrats on your successful baking venture.

There's nothing like it when it all goes well, is there :)

~Allison

Hi, Allison. I didn't notice the chestnut flour, although the texture and taste of the cupcakes was rich and smooth. The raw batter was silky and shiny, and very tasty. I've found that many raw gluten-free batters or doughs do not taste very good, at least to me. I can get the chestnut flour at my favorite healthy foods store too, but it's quite expensive, so I'll wait until I have a specific need for it before I buy it.

I have a 'from scratch' recipe for a bread that is kinda like a quick bread that I made for a long time until I discovered Udi's bread. I like to substitute about 1/4 cup of coconut flour for the regular flour blend. It yields a moist product, and a faint scent of coconut. Mmmmm! Sometimes I just open up the container of coconut flour to smell the aroma. :P

Yes, it's great when the baking works out!

--Beth.

Just a comment... one of my guests last night is allergic to nuts, so did not eat the cupcakes. I hadn't thought of that. Are chestnuts actually nuts?? :blink: