Korwyn

One Year Gluten Free!

Rate this topic

And Casein, and soy.... :) A year ago I was resigned that I wasn't going to see my 41st birthday.

It was April 24th last year (two days after my 40th birthday) when I decided to go gluten free. It was a last resort. A week prior (April 18th, 2009) I told my wife, "I think I'm dying." What I didn't tell her at that time was that part of me - an increasing part - wanted to. I was so sick and so sick of being sick. Physically and psychologically. I was sleeping an average of maybe 3 hours a night, and often my panic and anxiety would keep me awake for a couple of days until I would just pass out and sleep for 14 hours. Then I'd get up and start it all over again. I was giving up hope. No, I guess in reality I'd given up hope. In August 2008, I contracted C.Diff and was very, very, ill with intestinal bleeding, etc. After 2 1/2 months of anti-biotics I started to feel better, then my health begin spiral out of control.

But I'm healing! I function normally! The panic attacks, anxiety, diarrhea, myoclonus, nightmares, night sweats (and day sweats), uncontrollable mood swings, anger and extreme irritability (to put it mildly), brain fog, depression, insomnia, fatigue, etc., have decreased so much that they are an anomaly now, not the norm. My Dr. WANTS to see me come in! We have been learning together and she has now sent other patients to our GiG group. I still have may things going on but I see the healing continuing.

I have to say though that though all of this, my lifelines have been God and my wife. Without my wife's support and love I would never have made it. I don't know that I can ever tell her enough how her willingness to do all of this (Gluten-free, soy-free household) has kept me going. Never once did she ever tell me it was all in my head, nor did she ever make me feel like I was a burden or inconvenience on her.

Also the people on this forum have been so helpful. I regularly share stories and information from here at our GiG meetings, and want you all to know that your information, struggles, victories, temporary defeats reach far beyond this place.

Thank you all, and may the God of all Grace richly bless you, bringing your wisdom in your search for answers, healing in your health, and encouragement on a daily (and nightly for those dealing with insomnia) basis.

I am so glad you're doing well. Thanks for the nice words :) and for coming back to tell us that you are normal. :P

I am so glad you're doing well. Thanks for the nice words :) and for coming back to tell us that you are normal. :P

Heh....yeah, well my being 'normal' is open to debate. :lol: