Rate this topic

This month my period didn't come. I have a few weeks left in the month, but normally I get my period right around the 15th. (took a test-neg)I have not been horribly strict with my diet, although I am more aware- I am moving slowly into this. I have had alot of stress, but I have never not had a period at all, except when I was pregnant. I did have missed periods in basic training too. Is this a normal side affect? Should I contact my doctor? I have the symptoms, sore chest, moodiness and hunger. Thank you in advance I appreciate your input.

If you've lost some weight recently then you'll miss your period....otherwise I'd contact the Dr. as low estrogen can lead to increased risk of osteoporosis and maybe other things?

Relax. Your cycle can get thrown off by so many stressfull things.

Your cycle can even be thrown off by a new circle of female friends. I don't know if they have a certain term for it but it really happens in sorority, college dorms, and work environments.

I would wait a week before checking in with the doctor. But then again, I hate going to the doctor. ;)

Low iron levels also delay it. My doc says 6 months w/o is when I should come in, but the general guideline is 3 months. Make sure you are eating some fat-- if you have fat malabsorption, that could also be a contributor. Fertility issues are very common among women w/ undiagnosed celiac disease.

And yeah, losing as little as 5 pounds, being stressed, not absorbing nutrients could definitely be enough to shove you over the edge.

Low iron levels also delay it. My doc says 6 months w/o is when I should come in, but the general guideline is 3 months. Make sure you are eating some fat-- if you have fat malabsorption, that could also be a contributor. Fertility issues are very common among women w/ undiagnosed celiac disease.

And yeah, losing as little as 5 pounds, being stressed, not absorbing nutrients could definitely be enough to shove you over the edge.

Same here, I think if this persists you should talk to the doc...but it's probably nothing.

2 years I've thought my disappearing periods were due to my IUD (hormonal; this tend to be a secondary effect of it)

But since (recent) gluten diagnosis, I've come to realize the periods thing began happening when I began noticing GI symptoms.

Of course I was not questioning the IUD theory before, since I had no clue about gluten until a few months ago!

But I think gluten might as well be the culprit/ participating to this, since I normally have very heavy/long/painful periods and IUD will, in most cases, just lightens heavy periods...plus, since going gluten-free it seems to change -slowly though (had light periods again last month/ no blood but typical pain this month...sorry if TMI :))

I've lost 20+ lbs since symptoms appear/ began noticeable, and show signs of malabsorption, that's why I suspect gluten -Dr tend to tell me they don't know/ to prefer the IUD theory...who knows?

Hope all of this made sense to you?

Sophie

My periods were either non-existent or very, very, very light and lasted maybe a day, sometimes an hour. My GYN blamed it on my IUD. I knew there was something else going on. Anyway, soon after I went gluten-free I got my first regular period in a long, long time. This past month came and went without a period and the other day I just had spotting. I think it's because I had been glutened a few times over the past month. The first month I literally felt great and got my period, no problem. It's probably just your body figuring things out. Are you seeing a GI? Have you had your vitamin levels checked? That's probably a good idea too. If you're being followed by a dr for this I would definitely mention it at your next appt. They know better than us the proper tests to run, etc. (Hopefully) ;)

I would wait until you miss another cycle. I remember years ago, I missed a period and thought I must be pregnant...but next month it came. Also, a few years ago I had not had a period for 6 mos..took a new job working with all younger, fertile women and had a period the next month; after that no more...just strange!

However, if you don't have a period next month, I would certainly make an appt with your gyn.

i just had my annual last week and mentioned to my doc about my cycle getting out of sync the past few months (which used to come like clock work without the help of birth control). anyway, she said its mostly hormonal due to all the changes taking place from eliminating gluten. she basically said it should straighten itself out but down the road if it doesn't they'll run other tests and/or try a 10 day course to kick it back into a regular cycle. so maybe your body is just adjusting to the dietary changes.

This month my period didn't come. I have a few weeks left in the month, but normally I get my period right around the 15th. (took a test-neg)I have not been horribly strict with my diet, although I am more aware- I am moving slowly into this. I have had alot of stress, but I have never not had a period at all, except when I was pregnant. I did have missed periods in basic training too. Is this a normal side affect? Should I contact my doctor? I have the symptoms, sore chest, moodiness and hunger. Thank you in advance I appreciate your input.

I'd take the test again. It's likely that you'd get a false-negative if you took it too early. This would seem likely since you have the other symptoms that you had when you were pregnant before. Perhaps your first test was from a bad batch.