This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Buying A Stand Mixer

MartialArtist

MartialArtist Apprentice

I have never owned a stand mixer but find that I now really need one for mixing up gluten-free breads, especially from any of the mixes I've found. So hubby is looking at getting me one for Mother's Day (my request!) and asked whether I want a home model or a professional/industrial model. I said it needs to be a "heavy duty stand mixer" and he said those are available in both categories.

Any advice on which way to go? Am I going to find that the home models just don't do the trick? Or is the pro/industrial level a waste of money if I'm not going to be using it for commercial purposes (which I'm not)? Any particular brand/model people really love or hate?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I have a Kitchen Aid Ultra Power (home model) that I've had for about 20 years. It still looks and works like new. For years, among other things I mixed several batches of cookie doughs at a time in it--now I use it for my Gluten Free Pantry bread mix. Highly recommend :)

mommida Enthusiast

You need at the very least the kitchen aid home model or stronger. Gluten free baking requires longer mixing time. (egg replacement baking too)

If you plan on making any gluten free bagels or any denser dough type things, definately go for something stronger. The bagel dough has a way of pushing the pin out on my kitchen aid. I can't do a double batch of bagel dough either, the mixer will just sit there. It is almost 20 years old, so I can't complain about kitchen aid.

I love doing double batches, and have been gluten free for over 5 years.

ciavyn Contributor

A kitchen aid stand mixer should do the job. I have a home model, but the $300 one that i bought on ebay for $80 four years ago. Wow, is that thing awesome!! Love it, love it, love it! Check out craigslist and ebay if you want to get a steal. I've never had any problem with the attachments or cross contamination -- just washed everything in super hot water or the dishwasher, and it's been doing great ever since.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

It also depends on what you're looking to do. Basic baking will only require the home model--Definitely go with the Kitchenaid ;) I've had mine for 12 years and I'm outgrowing it (but it still runs as perfectly as it did day 1). I need to be able to mix 4 loaves worth of bread dough at a time and I can just barely do 2 with my current mixer. For my cake business, I also need to mix at least 3 batches of batter at a time and mine just doesn't cut it :rolleyes:

MartialArtist Apprentice

It also depends on what you're looking to do. Basic baking will only require the home model--Definitely go with the Kitchenaid ;) I've had mine for 12 years and I'm outgrowing it (but it still runs as perfectly as it did day 1). I need to be able to mix 4 loaves worth of bread dough at a time and I can just barely do 2 with my current mixer. For my cake business, I also need to mix at least 3 batches of batter at a time and mine just doesn't cut it :rolleyes:

Do you do gluten-free cakes or regular or both? Just curious b/c before my diagnosis, I was thinking of starting a (very small) cake decorating business (but not wanting to do more than one or two a week, so nothing I'd need an industrial mixer for). I'm curious both about whether you have any problems with working with the gluten-containing batter/cakes and about what gluten-free cake recipes are particularly good b/c eventually I'm going to have a birthday myself and want a yummy cake!

mushroom Proficient

I have never owned a stand mixer but find that I now really need one for mixing up gluten-free breads, especially from any of the mixes I've found. So hubby is looking at getting me one for Mother's Day (my request!) and asked whether I want a home model or a professional/industrial model. I said it needs to be a "heavy duty stand mixer" and he said those are available in both categories.

I just got one for my birthday last month. I bought the home model Kitchen Aid (the only difference between that and the "professional" was that the professional one has a bowl lifting attachment which I couldn't be bothered with, and besides it was $100 more here. I love it. I do only gluten free baking and have yet to find a dough that I even need to use the dough hook for, but I know the time will come. It makes a lot of difference to my breads, getting more air in and making them lighter. I am going to buy another bowl when I come stateside this summer so that I don't have to stop and wash before doing egg whites and so I can put the egg whites in directly to the bowl.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

buffettbride Enthusiast

I have a professional one and I love it. I didn't buy it for myself though, it was a gift. I have no experience with the home one.

I think either way, if you get yourself a good Kitchen Aid stand mixer, your baking will be lovely. I use mine at least once a week, if not more.

Ginsou Explorer

I had planned on buying a Kitchen Aid mixer, and when I went to purchase it, ended up buying a Cuisinart Model SM-55BC. The price on both mixers was the same, and the Cuisinart had more watts (800) than the Kitchen Aid, and a larger capacity. Plan to spend approximately $300 for a heavy-duty mixer.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

If it helps at all, I purposely did NOT buy the professional one. It does not have a tilt head, it just has the bowl go up and down and lock into place. So if the bowl is full of dough or batter, you can't just lift the beater out of the dough, you kind of have to unlock the bowl, life it up, tilt it, and pull it away. You'll see what I mean if you play with one at the store. I wanted the tilt-head one, and I LOVE it. I just made Elana's almond butter brownies with it yesterday!

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Do you do gluten-free cakes or regular or both? Just curious b/c before my diagnosis, I was thinking of starting a (very small) cake decorating business (but not wanting to do more than one or two a week, so nothing I'd need an industrial mixer for). I'm curious both about whether you have any problems with working with the gluten-containing batter/cakes and about what gluten-free cake recipes are particularly good b/c eventually I'm going to have a birthday myself and want a yummy cake!

I only make gluten-free cakes. I don't cook with any gluten at all. I've recently started a cake decorating business and even doing 1 a week--my mixer isn't big enough. If I do a cake for more than 30 people, I have to mix the cakes in 2 separate batches. It's a pain!

njbeachbum Explorer

i have the Kitchen Aid artisan stand mixer.... absolutely awesome for my gluten-free needs. They are regularly about $300, but get one at Kohls when they have a big sale and use your 15/20/30% off coupon. A great deal and a great kitchen tool!!

sa1937 Community Regular

i have the Kitchen Aid artisan stand mixer.... absolutely awesome for my gluten-free needs. They are regularly about $300, but get one at Kohls when they have a big sale and use your 15/20/30% off coupon. A great deal and a great kitchen tool!!

I've been following this thread with great interest as I'm sure I need something other than my KitchenAid hand-held mixer, which has basically only been used for cookies, cakes and mashed potatoes as I've never been that much of a baker. After the Ener-G Brown Rice Loaf ph34r.gif I can see baking bread is definitely in my future!!! lol

The hand-held is probably not adequate for mixing up a loaf of gluten free bread, which I've been threatening to try for the past couple of weeks. I don't need anything that handles double batches.

Right now I'm looking at the KitchenAid KSM150PSWH Artisan Series 5-Quart Mixer at a price of $248 with free shipping. KitchenAid has a bous gift offer (good through May 29) for a free roto slicer/shredder or a food grinder.

I would like opinions as to whether this is a good buy as I haven't followed prices closely. Also, which would be more practical...the slicer/shredder or grinder? (Yeah, I know it's probably a personal preference but I'd welcome your opinions).

I haven't yet dismissed the Zo bread machine yet but am wondering if it would be too limiting.

Such a dilemma! biggrin.gif

Ginsou Explorer

I haven't yet dismissed the Zo bread machine yet but am wondering if it would be too limiting.

Such a dilemma! biggrin.gif

In addition to the Cuisinart mixer, I just ordered the Zo machine. I have several bread machines, that I will donate to Goodwill...which is where they came from originally! They worked fine, but I have Annalise Robert's Bread Machine cookbook, and did not realize that each rise cycle has a different temperature, and the one rise cycle that is used for gluten-free bread baking, is at a higher temperature than the other cycles. Food for thought.

These two machines should last as long as I do, I hope. My mom is 97, so it looks like I will live a long life. I worry about who is going to cook for me when I get too old and cannot live at home. I vision myself in assisted living with my Zo and Cuisinart in my room!!

mushroom Proficient

That sounds like a heckuva good price for a Kitchen Aid. I love my Artisan, and would say grab it. I paid a ridiculous price for mine down here, but we are a captive market :(

sa1937 Community Regular

That sounds like a heckuva good price for a Kitchen Aid. I love my Artisan, and would say grab it. I paid a ridiculous price for mine down here, but we are a captive market sad.gif

Thanks, mushroom! I bit the bullet and ordered the Artisan today. Prices are all over the ballpark (up to $300) with this being the least expensive I could find online. I ordered the white one..I'm though with ordering things in every color of the rainbow.

This decision was made considerably easier after I baked my first loaf of gluten free bread yesterday that turned out like a brick. Hahaha My little KitchenAid hand-held mixer just didn't do the job. I also want to pick up some fresh yeast, not that mine is that old but I need to give it a fair shot. Even though I don't think the bread is edible (you could KILL someone with that loaf!!!), I did taste it and it does have a pleasant flavor. I'll try drying it out and making bread crumbs from it.

For the bonus offer I think I'll go for the food grinder. Thinking it over, how many slicer/shredders do I need...I have a 4-sided grater/slicer, an ancient Mouli hand-held slicer/grater, food processor and salad shooter (it was a gift...do people really use those things???)

mushroom Proficient

I bought the bright red one, cause I have a lot of red accents in my kitchen, but I have it locked away on a handy leveraged shelf and just pull it out and up when I want it :D Didn't order any gizmos to go with it yet - thought I might think about that when I'm stateside this summer :P Would like to make my own sausages because they put soy in all the gluten free ones here :(

But lemme tell you, the first loaf of bread I made with it (a recipe I have made before often, by hand!! - yeah, I know, but anyways I used to beat it a bit then Dh would beat it a bit and then I would beat it some more) turned out fanTASTic. It was a french bread recipe and it whipped so much air into the dough that it even had the little holes in the dough the way REAL french bread does. And I cooked it in my baguette pans and served it to gluten eaters who didn't even raise an eyebrow! Of course I didn't tell them.

You are just going to love it.

sa1937 Community Regular

I bought the bright red one, cause I have a lot of red accents in my kitchen, but I have it locked away on a handy leveraged shelf and just pull it out and up when I want it biggrin.gif Didn't order any gizmos to go with it yet - thought I might think about that when I'm stateside this summer tongue.gif Would like to make my own sausages because they put soy in all the gluten free ones here sad.gif

But lemme tell you, the first loaf of bread I made with it (a recipe I have made before often, by hand!! - yeah, I know, but anyways I used to beat it a bit then Dh would beat it a bit and then I would beat it some more) turned out fanTASTic. It was a french bread recipe and it whipped so much air into the dough that it even had the little holes in the dough the way REAL french bread does. And I cooked it in my baguette pans and served it to gluten eaters who didn't even raise an eyebrow! Of course I didn't tell them.

You are just going to love it.

Well, mushroom, my decision was easy...the white one was $248 compared to around $300 for colors. No brainer. tongue.gif Mine has to sit on the counter and I have to make room for it. Cool idea for the leverage thingie. I was originally holding off thinking that I didn't need one and now I know it'll make it so much easier. I may need to ask you more about the actual process once I get it. The only reason I'm going to order the grinder attachment after I get the mixer is because it's a freebie promo offer. There are lots of mixed reviews on Am_zon on all KitchenAid attachments.

The French bread sounds wonderful. I think I could eat a whole loaf right now!!! Oh wait...I just had dinner. lol Stange that I never ate that much bread before but now I could really sink my teeth into a loaf.

Can you share your recipe? wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

mushroom Proficient

Sure, here it is:

FRENCH BREAD

ingredients

* 2 cups rice flour (white)

* 1 cup tapioca flour

* 3 teaspoons xanthan gum

* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

* 2 teaspoons egg substitute (optional) (I sometimes add one yolk but you don't need to - don't use the substitute because it has potato starch)

* 2 tablespoons sugar

* 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

* 2 tablespoons fast rise yeast

* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

* 3 egg whites, beaten slightly

* 1 teaspoon vinegar

* melted butter, for brushing (optional)

Directions

1. In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, place flours, xanthan gum, salt, and egg replacer (if used).Blend with mixer on low.

2. In a small bowl dissolve the sugar in the water, and add yeast.

3. Wait until the mixture foams slightly, then blend into the dry ingredients.

4. Add the butter, egg whites, and vinegar.Beat on high for 3 minutes.

5. To form loaves, spoon dough onto greased and cornmeal-dusted cookie sheets in two long French-loaf shapes or spoon into special French-bread pans. (If you have the pans with the holes in them it's best to line them with baking paper :o )

6. Slash diagonally every few inches.If desired, brush with melted butter.

7. Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 20 to 25 minutes.(I turn the oven on low and let it warm up then turn it off and pop the bread in to rise - then just turn it up to 400 for the bake and leave it where it is.)

8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.

9. Remove from pan to cool.

sa1937 Community Regular

Thanks so much!!! smile.gif It sounds absolutely delish! Surprisingly I have all ingredients except the egg substitute but then you don't always use it or the egg yolk, right? Does it make any difference in flavor if you leave it out? And I need to buy fresh yeast but I'll have it before I receive the mixer.

I don't have French bread pans YET but that may be a purchase in the future especially if I find a great bread that really turns out.

mushroom Proficient

Thanks so much!!! smile.gif It sounds absolutely delish! Surprisingly I have all ingredients except the egg substitute but then you don't always use it or the egg yolk, right? Does it make any difference in flavor if you leave it out? And I need to buy fresh yeast but I'll have it before I receive the mixer.

I don't have French bread pans YET but that may be a purchase in the future especially if I find a great bread that really turns out.

You don't need any egg except the three whites. Do get some quick acting yeast. I used regular yeast last time and had to let it rise longer and it almost rose too much :o - started flowing over the top of the baguette pans. I was glad I had the paper to lift it back into shape :lol:

The first few times I made it I made it in a regular loaf tin and it was just fine. This is a bread that does not need to be refrigerated (of course in our house it seldom lasts long enough to need it :lol: ).

sa1937 Community Regular

The first few times I made it I made it in a regular loaf tin and it was just fine. This is a bread that does not need to be refrigerated (of course in our house it seldom lasts long enough to need it laugh.gif ).

Thanks for the tips, mushroom! After my first bread baking disaster, I am determined to figure this out. I have the quick acting yeast on my grocery list and this will be the first recipe I try with my new mixer. Now I am more anxious than ever to get it. I know bread baking takes practice and I used to use my Mom's recipe all the time (like 40 years ago). I looked it up and it also called for using 2 tbsp. sugar with the yeast/water mixture whereas the recipe I tried didn't call for any sugar. I will give it another chance though.

I also think I'll try making some bread pudding with lemon sauce out of that heavy brick-like loaf. Gotta find my old recipe. I don't think I need a whole loaf of bread made into crumbs. I even tested the temp of the water for the yeast and also used a digital instant read thermometer on the baked loaf (210

sa1937 Community Regular

Holy cow! I got my mixer today! I ordered it Sun. afternoon and it was shipped from a distribution center near York, PA so it blew me away when I found out it would be delivered so quickly. So now it's all washed and ready to go. Yeast is on my shopping list for tomorrow! Woo hoo!!!biggrin.gif

mushroom Proficient

Holy cow! I got my mixer today! I ordered it Sun. afternoon and it was shipped from a distribution center near York, PA so it blew me away when I found out it would be delivered so quickly. So now it's all washed and ready to go. Yeast is on my shopping list for tomorrow! Woo hoo!!!biggrin.gif

Don't wait for the yeast! Make something now :lol:

sa1937 Community Regular

Don't wait for the yeast! Make something now laugh.gif

It's almost 8 p.m. I don't want to dirty up my clean kitchen tonight. lol

Archived