Rate this topic

I'm not celiac, nor do I have a food allergy to ingredients containing gluten.

However I do have Aspberger's (which is a mild form of Autism) and it was recommended to me that I adhere to a low-gluten/gluten-free diet.

I don't know much about this unfortunately. I have a few questions about what's considered gluten and what isn't with some ingredients. Are cornmeal and rice (any kind of rice) considered to have gluten in them or are they gluten-free?

What about any type of dairy product and unflavored gelatin powder? Is agar-agar powder gluten free? I would assume so because it's made from seaweed, but I don't know.

I'm not celiac, nor do I have a food allergy to ingredients containing gluten.

However I do have Aspberger's (which is a mild form of Autism) and it was recommended to me that I adhere to a low-gluten/gluten-free diet.

I don't know much about this unfortunately. I have a few questions about what's considered gluten and what isn't with some ingredients. Are cornmeal and rice (any kind of rice) considered to have gluten in them or are they gluten-free?

What about any type of dairy product and unflavored gelatin powder? Is agar-agar powder gluten free? I would assume so because it's made from seaweed, but I don't know.

Generally speaking, rice and cornmeal are gluten free unless they have had something added to them or have been cross-contaminated.

Some dairy products (e.g., sour cream) can have gluten added to them; some cheeses (a small minority) have gluten added, but again generally speaking, dairy products are gluten free. Unflavoured gelatin powder is gluten free. So is agar-agar.

Where you will find hidden gluten is in things like flavorings, seasonings, soy sauce or anything made with soy sauce, some candies, sauces, marinades, salad dressings. It is necessary to read all labels looking for things like hydrolyzed wheat protein, malt "(from barley)", etc. All U.S. manufactured food products are required to list wheat as an ingredient, but not barley.

You should also check that any supplements and medications you take do not contain gluten. Most supplements will list the gluten contents but it is difficult to find out if there is wheat in your medications. Check with the manufacturer or ask your pharmacist.

Good luck with the diet, and feel free to ask any questions. :)