farmwife67

Is Test For Dh Going To Be Negative After Eating gluten-free?

Rate this topic

I'm wondering if I have DH on my scalp, but I have been eating gluten-free for a few months and I'm wondering if the biopsy would be negative because of the gluten-free diet?

i was just reading about this yesterday in dr. green's book (celiac disease the hidden epidemic). he said you could have flare ups for up to a couple of years after going gluten free. the test just needs to be done by a doctor familiar about dh so he can make sure the correct area is biopsied. (which is a couple of mm adjacent to the break out, not the actual break out since it can mimic several other skin diorders. good luck! :)

i was just reading about this yesterday in dr. green's book (celiac disease the hidden epidemic). he said you could have flare ups for up to a couple of years after going gluten free. the test just needs to be done by a doctor familiar about dh so he can make sure the correct area is biopsied. (which is a couple of mm adjacent to the break out, not the actual break out since it can mimic several other skin diorders. good luck! :)

Did he mention if the fact that I have been eating gluten-free would cause a negative result, as it does in other celiac testing?

I believe (with absolutely no authority to back this up :o ) that if a lesion is active, then there will be antibodies adjacent to it.

quoting the book (pg. 127) "dh biopies for iga are usually positive for a long time after gluten has been stopped- and become positive again within a few months of ingesting gluten." hope that helps ...

I believe (with absolutely no authority to back this up :o ) that if a lesion is active, then there will be antibodies adjacent to it.

This is my understanding also.