Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest LilKLJ

Any Equestrian Celiac's Out There?

Guest LilKLJ

Hello!

I'm a year into this grand experience and am just now getting used to thinking, cooking and living like a Celiac. I'm headed back to school in the fall (returning adult learner) and am looking forward to college.

My question is this. I have always been an avid equestrian (dressage mostly) and plan to continue to do so in the future. I have been out of commission for a couple of years and since developed the Celiac. Someone asked me the other day about how I would be able to work around all the feeds, grains and hay for horses (although hay is not usually wheat based... oats, barley, rye and wheat show up in hay and grains from time to time).

Does any one else ride and/or work in a barn situation who's been healthy and it hasn't effected them (or, maybe it has and I'd like to hear about that as well).

Thanks everyone, in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest TerpyTaylor

Very interesting question! My mother and I have both been diagnosed with Celiac's in the past year. We live on a small farm with 4 horses; we used to compete regularly, but now we ride mainly for pleasure since I've been in college!

I can't say I've noticed a huge problem being around the grains in the barn. We feed only Omolene 100, and it has mostly oats, corn and molasses. Although honestly, I haven't given much thought to it! I think that sometimes I can get a little itchy after feeding, but if I wash my hands right away it's normally fine. I will pay more attention though and get back to you, I will also get my mom to come on and answer!

I'm glad you're getting well! Good luck getting back into riding, I know I couldn't live without it :)

Blessings,

Taylor