This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Would You Consider This Correct?

macocha

macocha Contributor

that typically and normally one would either have a wheat allergy or celiac disease.

They can have both - but it is not common...

I posed a question to my daughter's allergist because she tested negative for wheat allergy. I asked if that means she most likely would not have celiac then, and he said that it is not common to have both - normally it is one or the either.

anyone?

the reason I am asking is that my son has both. a wheat allergy and celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

I am both allergic to wheat and rye, and intolerant to them.

WheatChef Apprentice

Food allergies in general are statistically rarer than intolerances.

Jestgar Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link

suggests that 2-6% of people have food allergies. I don't know what the stats are on intolerances. Where did you get your info from?

Pac Apprentice

that typically and normally one would either have a wheat allergy or celiac disease.

They can have both - but it is not common...

I posed a question to my daughter's allergist because she tested negative for wheat allergy. I asked if that means she most likely would not have celiac then, and he said that it is not common to have both - normally it is one or the either.

anyone?

the reason I am asking is that my son has both. a wheat allergy and celiac.

It depends on what wheat allergy your daughter was tested for.

IgE allergy to wheat proteins (not gluten)

IgE allergy to gluten

IgG allergy/intolerance

IgG reaction to gluten is very common in celiacs - up to 75% of them have anti-gliadin antibodies. (if a celiac gets sick from cc in 15-30minutes, it's because of these antibodies, true celiac reaction takes 4-12 hours to develope)

I've never heard of any connection between IgE wheat/gluten allergy and celiac, but I know a few people with both. If you see just the statictical chances - it's quite improbable to have both.

I'm IgE allergic to gluten (chronic asthma, ekzema) and "intolerant" to wheat and probably other gluten grains (or even oats?) - I have all the atypical celiac symptoms (some very severe) but no confirmed enteropathy. I get stomach sick if I get severely glutened, but both IgE allergy and neurological symptoms are much more sensitive to cc.

Jestgar Rising Star

IgG reaction to gluten is very common in celiacs - up to 75% of them have anti-gliadin antibodies. (if a celiac gets sick from cc in 15-30minutes, it's because of these antibodies, true celiac reaction takes 4-12 hours to develope)

You're gonna have to reference these numbers - I've never seen anything like them.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Can you give us a link to this research? I would be very interested in learning more about this. An allergic, or histamine reaction does normally take place in the time frame you referenced but according to my allergist the intolerance reaction from gluten antibodies can take up to a week for reactions to develop as the antibodies need to build up in the bloodstream. That was the reason for waiting a week before adding other foods to a true elimination diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived