This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anxiety

AliSha097

AliSha097 Rookie
:( I was disgnosed with Celiac this year and started my Gluten Free diet in January. It seems that since the start of the year I have more and more panic attacks. It started with getting bad nerves over worrying about where I would eat if I were to be out and needed food and then it progressed to breathing uneasy when shopping in a grocery store and not being to understand labels. As the months passed I was able to find foods easier and relaxed about finding foods, but now it seems I am more and more neurotic about things that never used to bother me. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think it's celiac related? or a whole other entity? Please help my bad nerves! :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ohitsonlynicole Newbie

Honestly, I understand your fear of picking out wrong foods but your panic attacks are not from that. I mean gluten or no gluten does not cause you to have a panic attack. I would suggest some relaxing time each day and deep breathing. I have horrible anixety and I find my relaxing time is when I go to the gym. It helps decrease my anixety. You also could just be going through a stressful time overall.

Hope you get better

Skylark Collaborator

Anxiety is a celiac symptom for me. One of the things that can happen to me if I'm glutened is that I'll get anxiety attacks for no reason. Lately I've gotten more sensitive to gluten and even small amounts like fryer cross-contamination cause trouble. I get GI trouble first. Then starting about 24 hours I get depressed and have anxiety attacks for the next couple days.

Fish oil helps, and I have some inositol powder I put in my water to sip that helps a little too. I find chamomile tea calming, and hot showers are always helpful.

mushroom Proficient

Don't let anyone tell you that youz anxiety attacks are "all in your head" or due to "stresses" that you are under, The stress you are under is most probably gluten induced and should fade as you rid the gluten from the system. Just relax, breathe, calm yourself, and know that this, too, shall pass. I know it's hard at the moment, but you are going through recovery :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If this gets overwhelming do seek help for it. My anxiety escalated to the point where I became agoraphobic and barely left my house. I have been under treatment for it now for a year and am much better but it is still a struggle.

AliSha097 Rookie

First of all I really appreciate everyone's responses. This was the first time I used the forum and everyone was a great help. I do notice I am at my worst with anxiety shortly after I accidently have gluten. Last month was the worst attack that I have ever had. My doctor set me up to see a therapist who specializes in digestive disorders, eating disorders, and the stress they can cause someone. I see them two times at the end of this month. Hopefully that will set me in the right direction! Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll take all the advice I can get. :unsure:

ravenwoodglass Mentor

First of all I really appreciate everyone's responses. This was the first time I used the forum and everyone was a great help. I do notice I am at my worst with anxiety shortly after I accidently have gluten. Last month was the worst attack that I have ever had. My doctor set me up to see a therapist who specializes in digestive disorders, eating disorders, and the stress they can cause someone. I see them two times at the end of this month. Hopefully that will set me in the right direction! Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll take all the advice I can get. :unsure:

I am really glad to hear you are getting help with this. Celiac can have some significant neuro impact. Be sure to be super strict with your diet and IMHO you should stay away from distilled gluten and gluten in toiletries at least until you have well healed. I hope this resolves quickly for you and it sounds like you have a good doctor.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I forgot - another thing that helps me with anxiety is is fish oil. I take four capsules of good mercury-free double-strength fish oil a day. Since you find a clear association between eating gluten and the anxiety I imagine it will get better as you get all the gluten out of your diet and your body heals.

AliSha097 Rookie

If this gets overwhelming do seek help for it. My anxiety escalated to the point where I became agoraphobic and barely left my house. I have been under treatment for it now for a year and am much better but it is still a struggle.

Wow this is really serious. I hope that you are getting better, but I can see how that would happen! Hang in there. I appreciate your support.

AliSha097 Rookie

Anxiety is a celiac symptom for me. One of the things that can happen to me if I'm glutened is that I'll get anxiety attacks for no reason. Lately I've gotten more sensitive to gluten and even small amounts like fryer cross-contamination cause trouble. I get GI trouble first. Then starting about 24 hours I get depressed and have anxiety attacks for the next couple days.

Fish oil helps, and I have some inositol powder I put in my water to sip that helps a little too. I find chamomile tea calming, and hot showers are always helpful.

Do you take fish oil pills? and what is inositol powder?

AliSha097 Rookie

I forgot - another thing that helps me with anxiety is is fish oil. I take four capsules of good mercury-free double-strength fish oil a day. Since you find a clear association between eating gluten and the anxiety I imagine it will get better as you get all the gluten out of your diet and your body heals.

:huh: Fish oil seems to be common...does it taste awful?

Skylark Collaborator

Do you take fish oil pills? and what is inositol powder?

I take the double-strength Nature's Bounty fish oil capsules you get at Walgreen's. It's in enteric capsules so you don't burp it or anything nasty, and it says it's been molecularly distilled to remove any mercury. Every time I get really compulsive about taking 4 capsules a day I feel better and wonder why I don't do it all the time. :D

Inositol is a sugar related to glucose that is essential for cell membranes and a healthy nervous system. It used to be classified as a B-vitamin, but it turns out your body can make some. Most people get 1-2 g/day in a normal diet, but there are psychiatric studies giving 12g a day that showed it can help with depression and anxiety. Research on inositol was pretty much stopped when Prozac came out because there was more profit to be made from Prozac. A psychiatrist friend told me that mixing a couple grams of inositol into water (it tastes a little sweet) to sip might help with some anxiety trouble I was having a while back, and I did find it calming. She said to put enough in my water that I was consuming about 1g/hour, and to not exceed the 12g/day that was found to be safe in studies.

Here's some info.

Open Original Shared Link Advertisement/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_255/ai_n6211958/

Skylark Collaborator

Sorry. Apparently I cannot share an article from CBS Business Newtork on Inositol with you here. You'll have to do your own research until they get the board advertisement filters working a little better.

AliSha097 Rookie

Sorry. Apparently I cannot share an article from CBS Business Newtork on Inositol with you here. You'll have to do your own research until they get the board advertisement filters working a little better.

Awesome. It sounds like a good idea. I will definately look into it and hopefully it works for me. I could use some positive emotions! :rolleyes:

AliSha097 Rookie

:huh: Fish oil seems to be common...does it taste awful?

I tried fish oil pills today. 3 through out the day at 1200mg. I may be crazy, but I felt much calmer today than usual. I hope it is not just a fluke. Thanks for the great idea! :D

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Honestly, I understand your fear of picking out wrong foods but your panic attacks are not from that. I mean gluten or no gluten does not cause you to have a panic attack. I would suggest some relaxing time each day and deep breathing. I have horrible anixety and I find my relaxing time is when I go to the gym. It helps decrease my anixety. You also could just be going through a stressful time overall.

Hope you get better

I must correct your misinformation here. Anxiety IS most definitely a celiac symptom. I've had celiac undiagnosed my whole life until age 40, and a few months before diagnosis I developed panic attacks for no reason- healthy marriage, secure financially, yet constantly anxious, full blown hyperventilating feeling like I would die attacks. TWO days after going gluten free the panic attacks and anxiety were gone. There is research about this. Neurological symptoms are a big part of celiac. Lots of people on the board will tell you anxiety is a big celiac symptom for them and there is plenty of evidence about it.

When I get glutened the FIRST thing that happens to me is I get a sharp intake of breath and a massive anxiety attack starts. Then the other symptoms come later.

To the original poster, if you have been gluten free for awhile, then either you are getting glutened, or your anxiety is due to something else. The first time I tried to shop after my diagnosis I ended up running from the store with a massive panic attack and leaving the cart behind. I ran home and cried hysterically. It was very hard for me to shop in the beginning and I am a shopper! It took me a couple of months before I could handle a grocery store with no problems.

so make sure you aren't getting glutened. Then honor the emotional process you are going through. And look at other things for your anxiety management. Good luck!

Check your soaps and shampoos. My shampoo and conditioner had wheat in it, my hand soap and lotion, too. It all ends up in your mouth when it runs down your face in the shower, or you have it on your hands and you eat, etc. I was not getting better until I made my beauty products gluten free. I am a beauty product snob and I LOVE my products. I cried over Redken. LOL If I can change my products, anybody can.

Matrix has some good gluten free products for hair. Almost no products will say gluten free on them because if idiots who threaten to sue all the time. But... the main ingredient is wheat in soaps and stuff and it's clearly labled.

AliSha097 Rookie

Check your soaps and shampoos. My shampoo and conditioner had wheat in it, my hand soap and lotion, too. It all ends up in your mouth when it runs down your face in the shower, or you have it on your hands and you eat, etc. I was not getting better until I made my beauty products gluten free. I am a beauty product snob and I LOVE my products. I cried over Redken. LOL If I can change my products, anybody can.

Matrix has some good gluten free products for hair. Almost no products will say gluten free on them because if idiots who threaten to sue all the time. But... the main ingredient is wheat in soaps and stuff and it's clearly labled.

Thanks for all your info, it is definately something to look into!. My mom just asked me last week if I was in contact with gluten in our shampoo or soap because my face is all rashed out like an allergic reaction. I have an awful time reading labels for beauty products to see if they are gluten free. I pretty much have no clue what I am doing unless I google something online?! :unsure:

JoannaIvey Newbie

I'm wondering if you all can answer for me how long "gluten induced" anxiety lasts after a gluten infraction. My 8 yo we think was served gluten in a restaurant by accident (I so should have gone with my instinct...!) and he had a terrible, terrible three days after that. Extreme anxiety, crying jags, lashing out physically, not sleeping etc. He is much better now, and I wonder if the reaction to gluten could last that long? I'm at a loss on how to handle him when this happens- my mama heart tells me he can't help it, but of course everyone tells be to get tuff with him.

Since he is unable to tell me how he feels can you all share some insight on how long the feelings of panic and anxiety last after eating gluten? Also, are there any "antidotes" or anything else we can do? We are a clean/gluten-free house but with kids these things happen...

Thanks so much- joanna

Bobbijo6681 Apprentice

Joanna,

I don't personally get panic attacks with gluten ingestion, but I know that a gluttening can cause me stomach issues for 3-5 days. I am not sure if it is the same with panic/anxiety, but would have to assume so. It is very easy for others to say "deal with it" but I see where you are coming from with your son. Maybe the best approach with him would be to not reprimand him for his behavior, but teach him appropriate ways to handle it so the next time it happens (and there will be a next time almost guaranteed) he will hopefully be able to handle what emotions are going on with in himself a little better. We know as adults that we have to learn to control ourselfs even when times are tough, but it is hard for little ones to do that.

Again I haven't dealt directly with panic/anxiety attacks, and am only going on speculation.

Hope things get better!!

Skylark Collaborator

I'm wondering if you all can answer for me how long "gluten induced" anxiety lasts after a gluten infraction. My 8 yo we think was served gluten in a restaurant by accident (I so should have gone with my instinct...!) and he had a terrible, terrible three days after that. Extreme anxiety, crying jags, lashing out physically, not sleeping etc. He is much better now, and I wonder if the reaction to gluten could last that long? I'm at a loss on how to handle him when this happens- my mama heart tells me he can't help it, but of course everyone tells be to get tuff with him.

Since he is unable to tell me how he feels can you all share some insight on how long the feelings of panic and anxiety last after eating gluten? Also, are there any "antidotes" or anything else we can do? We are a clean/gluten-free house but with kids these things happen...

Thanks so much- joanna

For me, there is some GI trouble, then 24 hours later I have 2-3 days of anxiety and depression. I have trouble sleeping, wake up in the middle of the night worried about weird things, occasional random spurts of adrenaline, and even crying jags and feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.

I have had some counseling from a professional psychologist in the past because my untreated celiac disease caused chronic anxiety and depression. (Naturally, the antidepressants never worked very well.) She taught me some cognitive coping strategies to get through a rough patch. It's things like deep breathing, hot baths, pampering myself, repeating affirmations, and above all realizing/remembering that the awful feelings are caused by illness and will pass. You might find learning coping strategies from a professional helpful for you and your son. I also make absolutely sure I'm taking my fish oil, and sometimes use inositol powder.

Thanks for all your info, it is definately something to look into!. My mom just asked me last week if I was in contact with gluten in our shampoo or soap because my face is all rashed out like an allergic reaction. I have an awful time reading labels for beauty products to see if they are gluten free. I pretty much have no clue what I am doing unless I google something online?! :unsure:

It says wheat clearly on the labels. Wheat germ oil, wheat protein, etc. I've never seen barley in shampoo but you can look for it. They never say gluten free to cover themselves for lawsuits, but they like to say it has wheat because that's a draw for a lot of people.

People worry about tocopherol because technically it can be made from wheat, but the Canadian celiac association says tocopherols are fine, no gluten in them when tested. I use things with tocopherol with no problem and I'm very sensitive. I get glutened from a crumb.

AliSha097 Rookie

It says wheat clearly on the labels. Wheat germ oil, wheat protein, etc. I've never seen barley in shampoo but you can look for it. They never say gluten free to cover themselves for lawsuits, but they like to say it has wheat because that's a draw for a lot of people.

People worry about tocopherol because technically it can be made from wheat, but the Canadian celiac association says tocopherols are fine, no gluten in them when tested. I use things with tocopherol with no problem and I'm very sensitive. I get glutened from a crumb.

I will have to look at all my labels again. I think everything is okay. Thanks again for sharing all that info! You are a great help! :D

DownWithGluten Explorer

For what it's worth. I had worse anxiety within the first three months of going gluten free than I've had in my life. There were other stressful things going on at the time, too. And the anxiety wasn't about the gluten. But I can't help but wonder if the drastic diet change had some kind of an impact, hindsight.

• 3 months later...
daniellez Newbie

I was just diagnosed with celiac back in March of 2010. I was having pretty terrible tension headaches, nausea, loss of appetite, etc and really terrible anxiety while I was eating gluten. As soon as I stopped eating gluten the anxiety did seem to subside quite a bit but it still seems as if the times I am experiencing anxiety it is really difficult for me to get over it. Before I was diagnosed with celiac disease I started going to therapy for the anxiety (and I continue to do so) but sometimes it doesn't seem like enough. Coincidentally I am taking fish oil for the brain fog that I was experiencing, as well as sublingual B-12, vitamin D, vitamin C and iron to conquer my deficiencies. Does anyone know how long the anxiety symptoms take to go away? I do notice that if I get gluten in my system via cross-contamination I get really ill and really anxious within a few hours. Any ideas of what to take/do are welcome. Thanks!

Archived