Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AliSha097

Anxiety

Hi... I had terrible anxiety for several years before going gluten free. I'm doing somewhat better now but in the process of going gluten-free, I discovered that soy seems to makes me very anxious indeed. I've read that other people experience this too, so it may be worth eliminating it from your diet to see if that helps. Sadly, it lurks in many foods, just like gluten.

Hi... I had terrible anxiety for several years before going gluten free. I'm doing somewhat better now but in the process of going gluten-free, I discovered that soy seems to makes me very anxious indeed. I've read that other people experience this too, so it may be worth eliminating it from your diet to see if that helps. Sadly, it lurks in many foods, just like gluten.

my anxiety peaked just at the time of dx and lasted for several months. I mean, the worst anxiety you can imagine. I am on prozac and finally do not need to take klonapin as much anymore. Several things are related to the anxiety: first, the low vitamin D levels and also the poor absorption of Omega 3 fatty acids that you get from fish oil and other essential fatty acids. My doctor of funtional medicine said those 2 elements have been missing from my body chemistry and I finally just stopped producing enough seratonin to feel that sense of well being...

my advice to to get your vit d levels checked etc. I hope to be off the anti depressants soon once my gut heals and fully absorbs the efa's and vit d.

Magnesium can help some with anxiety. For full panic attacks, The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by New Harbinger Publications has a chapter on coping with panic attacks that is excellent. The book is usually popular enough it's on the shelves of Borders or Waldens, or you can find it online. Typically around 20 or 25 dollars. The whole workbook is great - very clinically sound - with sections on generalized anxiety, relaxation, nutrition, etc. They should send me money for every time I suggest it.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

Hi!   Sorry no one had your exact symptoms.  Do you have celiac disease?  Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that attacks the small intestine.  Once destroyed digesting foods can be difficult because enzymes can not be released, et...
    Sorry, but I am not familiar with those tests.  They are not standard for celiac disease testing which does require you to be on a full gluten diet months before a blood draw or weeks before an endoscopy.   Your symptoms could be celiac di...
    Did you have any positives on the celiac blood tests?  Small intestinal damage can be spotty since it is larger than the size of a tennis court!   If you went on an elimination diet, you probably avoided foods that you had intolerances t...