Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pues

Glutened By Blue Diamond?

have any of you been glutened by blue diamond products. i know i am sensitive enough to react to amy's gluten free and i am wondering if blue diamond is a shared facility or a cross contamination issue.

if not then i probally have some other intolerances i need to figure out.

thanks,

pues

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

have any of you been glutened by blue diamond products. i know i am sensitive enough to react to amy's gluten free and i am wondering if blue diamond is a shared facility or a cross contamination issue.

if not then i probally have some other intolerances i need to figure out.

thanks,

pues

I've had quite a few experiences that left me a little wary of blue diamond nuts (almonds, in particular - regular, oven roasted, etc. -- I don't ever buy the seasoned ones). Even though they are supposedly gluten free I swear, every time I would eat them I would end up with an unhappy gut.

I don't know if it's a contamination issue or if I just have a had time digesting nuts at this phase of my recovery (I can eat peanut butter with no problems), so I just quit eating them. I found raw shelled almonds in the produce section of my grocery store (a Kroger) packaged by a company that says processed in a gluten free facility. I seem to be able to eat those with no problems.

Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)

Positive blood panel

Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy

Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s

Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

I have this all the time without issue. I daresay it might be the nuts. How often have you noticed a reaction?

Gluten free: Nov. 2009

Peanut and dairy free: Dec. 2009

Rediscovered dairy: March 2010 (in small quantities)

Peanuts added back: June 2010 (in small quantities)

At first I thought it was the carageean in the almond milk, other things with carageean seemed.... Then I thought it was an egg intolerance when I baked with almond flour and a larger proportion of eggs than usual-even when I was using an almond flour processed in a dedicated gluten-free facility, I still thought it was the eggs. I've had a strong aversion to eggs. Never imagined that it could be the almonds until I was allergy tested and guess what-I reacted to almonds! Eliminated almonds and other things and happy gut! Carageean and eggs are still not proven innocent yet.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Blue Diamond is pretty good about stating CC risks. Nut allergies and reactions are very common. You can sort out an almond sensitivity with allergy testing, or by challenging with almonds in the shell that have no CC risk.

I've had quite a few experiences that left me a little wary of blue diamond nuts (almonds, in particular - regular, oven roasted, etc. -- I don't ever buy the seasoned ones). Even though they are supposedly gluten free I swear, every time I would eat them I would end up with an unhappy gut.

I don't know if it's a contamination issue or if I just have a had time digesting nuts at this phase of my recovery (I can eat peanut butter with no problems), so I just quit eating them. I found raw shelled almonds in the produce section of my grocery store (a Kroger) packaged by a company that says processed in a gluten free facility. I seem to be able to eat those with no problems.

Remember peanut butter would be totally different because peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes.

Lori

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: 33 Units (active dietary gluten sensitivity)

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 11 Units (auto immune reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity)

Serologic Equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (subtype 2,5)