~Trish~

Pastry, Having Traumas!

Rate this topic

We've recently changed to a gluten free diet on recommendation from our Dr and I am now attempting at making our own pastries ect that are gluten free.

I've been using the "Roberts" brand of gluten free flour when a recipe calls for it and so far have not had issues until it comes to a pasta/pastry recipe.

I've tried to make tortillas and last night short crust pastry for some turnovers but the pastry/dough turns out very very crumbly and not pliable at all.

I even used the orgran pastry mix last night and still no difference.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Possibly something I can add to the recipe??

Thanks in advance for replies :)

I haven't used Roberts before, but I'm guessing you need to add something to it. Have you tried adding xanthan gum or guar gum? Since gluten-free foods lack binding agents, you need to add something to hold doughs together. As a rule, guar gum is generally added to wet ingredients, and xanthan gum is added to dry ingredients (you can use a combination of both, too). From what I've read, you use 1/2 - 1 tsp. per 1 cup of gluten-free flour, but I think it depends on the recipe and you may have to do some testing (info from "Bake Deliciously" by Jean Duane). More specifically, many websites (here's one: http://www.theglutenfreelife.com/xanthanguar-gum/) state that Xanthan gum and guar gum should be used in the following way:

1 tsp in pizza or bread recipes

1/2 tsp in cake recipes

1/2 or less in cookie recipes

I've never used guar gum, but I've had success with xanthan gum. Hope this helps!

We've recently changed to a gluten free diet on recommendation from our Dr and I am now attempting at making our own pastries ect that are gluten free.

I've been using the "Roberts" brand of gluten free flour when a recipe calls for it and so far have not had issues until it comes to a pasta/pastry recipe.

I've tried to make tortillas and last night short crust pastry for some turnovers but the pastry/dough turns out very very crumbly and not pliable at all.

I even used the orgran pastry mix last night and still no difference.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Possibly something I can add to the recipe??

Thanks in advance for replies :)

My tortilla recipe has sour cream in it and pastry has eggs and cream cheese (only have made mini pot pies, but others have tried it as a pie).

Thank you both so much! I am now going to give the recipe a try adding either of the "gums" and seeing how they go. Thanks :D

It worked!! I added a teaspoon of xanthum gum to the pasta dough mix before mixing it all together and it made the pastry sooooo much better!!

Thank you sooo much :D