Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
~Trish~

Pastry, Having Traumas!

Rate this topic

We've recently changed to a gluten free diet on recommendation from our Dr and I am now attempting at making our own pastries ect that are gluten free.

I've been using the "Roberts" brand of gluten free flour when a recipe calls for it and so far have not had issues until it comes to a pasta/pastry recipe.

I've tried to make tortillas and last night short crust pastry for some turnovers but the pastry/dough turns out very very crumbly and not pliable at all.

I even used the orgran pastry mix last night and still no difference.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Possibly something I can add to the recipe??

Thanks in advance for replies :)

I haven't used Roberts before, but I'm guessing you need to add something to it. Have you tried adding xanthan gum or guar gum? Since gluten-free foods lack binding agents, you need to add something to hold doughs together. As a rule, guar gum is generally added to wet ingredients, and xanthan gum is added to dry ingredients (you can use a combination of both, too). From what I've read, you use 1/2 - 1 tsp. per 1 cup of gluten-free flour, but I think it depends on the recipe and you may have to do some testing (info from "Bake Deliciously" by Jean Duane). More specifically, many websites (here's one: http://www.theglutenfreelife.com/xanthanguar-gum/) state that Xanthan gum and guar gum should be used in the following way:

1 tsp in pizza or bread recipes

1/2 tsp in cake recipes

1/2 or less in cookie recipes

I've never used guar gum, but I've had success with xanthan gum. Hope this helps!

We've recently changed to a gluten free diet on recommendation from our Dr and I am now attempting at making our own pastries ect that are gluten free.

I've been using the "Roberts" brand of gluten free flour when a recipe calls for it and so far have not had issues until it comes to a pasta/pastry recipe.

I've tried to make tortillas and last night short crust pastry for some turnovers but the pastry/dough turns out very very crumbly and not pliable at all.

I even used the orgran pastry mix last night and still no difference.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Possibly something I can add to the recipe??

Thanks in advance for replies :)

My tortilla recipe has sour cream in it and pastry has eggs and cream cheese (only have made mini pot pies, but others have tried it as a pie).

Thank you both so much! I am now going to give the recipe a try adding either of the "gums" and seeing how they go. Thanks :D

It worked!! I added a teaspoon of xanthum gum to the pasta dough mix before mixing it all together and it made the pastry sooooo much better!!

Thank you sooo much :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• February 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com