This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Else Get Sick Of Foods Easily?

KevinG

KevinG Apprentice

I am prone to get sick of a food if I eat it multiple times in a short timespan (e.g. days/weeks). For example, I found a delicious quinoa dish at a local store. I ate it around 10 times over the course of a couple of months. I now am almost repulsed at the thought of eating it again.

The exception would be things that I've eaten my whole life. I could eat rice or drink orange juice every day without getting sick of it.

Does anyone else find that they get tired of specific dishes more easily than others? I'm curious whether this is a celiac-specific thing.

(Note: by "sick" I don't mean physically ill; I am using it in the slang sense of "tired of".)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

Yes. I get bored with food really fast. I think it has gotten worse since gluten-free, but not because it's a celiac thing. I started eating so many different things that I realized the variety of foods that I was missing out on before. Now I find I get really tired of foods quickly. Oh well...I just look at going to the grocery store as an adventure. I see what new things I can find. :)

Lynayah Enthusiast

Yes! Wow, what a great question.

It can be frustrating because when I find something that really tastes good to me, I get so excited . . . and then after a day or two, I don't want it any more.

Back BGF (before gluten-free) days, it was easy to eat the same things over and over again, without getting tired of them -- the list of things I could eat every day without tiring of them could go on forever.

Not so now. Even if I make gluten-free versions of the same foods, I still tire of them more easily. I'm not sure why, except maybe my body is telling me I need to make sure I eat a more balanced selection of foods.

jackay Enthusiast

I don't get sick of the same foods. Since going gluten free didn't take care of all my health issues, I went on an elimination diet and started out with only three foods and built up from there. I am up to about thirty foods now. I pretty much eat the same thing most days. The thought of the same food does bug me but once I get to eating, every bite I take is so good.

It seems like my taste buds are my friends now because everything tastes so much better since going gluten free. Of course, I haven't tried any of the gluten substitute flours or packaged goods yet so don't know if I'll like any of them.

Lynayah Enthusiast

I don't get sick of the same foods. Since going gluten free didn't take care of all my health issues, I went on an elimination diet and started out with only three foods and built up from there. I am up to about thirty foods now. I pretty much eat the same thing most days. The thought of the same food does bug me but once I get to eating, every bite I take is so good.

It seems like my taste buds are my friends now because everything tastes so much better since going gluten free. Of course, I haven't tried any of the gluten substitute flours or packaged goods yet so don't know if I'll like any of them.

Jackay,

Which three foods did you eat at first?

Skylark Collaborator

I have to eat an awful lot of something to get tired of it. I pretty much like to eat anything, which is helpful on this diet!

kayo Explorer

I find the opposite happened for me. I used to love variety, hated leftovers and wouldn't eat the same thing two days in a row. I loved all types of foods and cuisines and loved going out to eat and experimenting with my cooking. When I went gluten free and then dairy free I worried the lack of variety (at least in the beginning) would really get to me. However I find myself appreciating simple food that I don't miss the variety so much. My tastes buds seem more in tune with the subtle flavors of fresh food prepared simply. I'm eating more fruits and eating more healthy and I feel so much better. I now realize that maybe craving all that variety was a clue my body wasn't getting what it needed. Now that I'm eating more simply I'm more satiated. I eat a lot less too. I live on leftovers, every dinner becomes next days lunch. We have the same rotation of meals most weeks with a bit of variety here and there. I still love to cook but I find I'm making things with less ingredients and less flare, if that makes sense. For example and awesome roast chicken, smashed potatoes and steamed green beans totally floats my boat and I could eat several times a week. I feel like me and food are less codependent :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zergcoffeebean Newbie

I have been told I'm one of the most picky eaters that my family and friends have encountered. Before going gluten-free I would tire of foods even after just having them once in a longer time span. Now, it takes a little longer. I can have the same thing about six to eight times in a row and only then do I get sick of it. I think it is partly because going gluten-free I got my IBS under complete control to the point where I don't even notice it anymore. I used to get nauseated at the drop of a hat, constant cramping and such. Doesn't really make one interested in eating.

I like keeping a lot of choices around. I find if I rotate things, I'm less likely to get tired of them.

I don't think it's a celiac thing, more of a human thing. hehe.

ciavyn Contributor

I think it depends on what it is. There are dishes that I love to make, and never seem to tire of. There are other things that I just enjoy having once in a while, especially because I don't want to get tired of them. :) I love simple cooking, and really enjoy trying new things, so I'm always adding in variety.

AliSha097 Rookie

I definately know what you mean. I am always complaining to my non celiac family memebers about how tired and repulsed I get with the foods I am eating. It's so strange! Glad I am not the only one. B)

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Yes, I get tired of the few foods I eat, but I would rather eat those than something i'm afraid will make me sick. My sweetie gets really irritated with me because I only eat a few select ones and he wants me to eat more and I refuse to.

He tells me i'm not eating enough variety in his opinion.

I'm at the point I would rather be bored with what I do eat than be sick eating what he wants me to.

Doing this I have lost 40 lbs, no longer asthmatic, depressed, anxiety ridden, no longer anemic for the first time in 35 years, sleeping thru the night. sores on my head that i've had on the top of my head for 25 years or more are gone. I could go on and on.

• 2 weeks later...
Lynayah Enthusiast

Yes, I get tired of the few foods I eat, but I would rather eat those than something i'm afraid will make me sick. My sweetie gets really irritated with me because I only eat a few select ones and he wants me to eat more and I refuse to.

He tells me i'm not eating enough variety in his opinion.

I'm at the point I would rather be bored with what I do eat than be sick eating what he wants me to.

Doing this I have lost 40 lbs, no longer asthmatic, depressed, anxiety ridden, no longer anemic for the first time in 35 years, sleeping thru the night. sores on my head that i've had on the top of my head for 25 years or more are gone. I could go on and on.

What a wonderful post! Thank you for reminding us all of the importance of being on "the other side."

What foods do you eat? What works for you?

luvs2eat Collaborator

I really don't, but understand the dilemma. Before I cut most of the carbs out of my diet, I happily had a ham and swiss or turkey and swiss sandwich (on Pamela's yummy bread) w/ a big handful of chips every single day for lunch. Every day I'd say to my husband, "That was the best sandwich I've EVER had!"

No more sammies... now I eat about 1/2 cup brown rice and a big bunch of chopped broccoli and carrots nuked for lunch almost every day. I like the routine and love the flavor!

Supper is either a lean meat w/ lots of veggies or a big salad w/ whatever meat we had the night before. I've JUST mixed up a jar of the dairy-free ranch dressing I found on Recipezaar, which will complete my usual salad (I'm now cutting diary!).

And needless to say (before cutting out dairy), I could eat mac and cheese every single day for the rest of my life!!!

Guess I'm pretty boring!

Archived