nancyan

What Are Emergency Symptoms?

Rate this topic

My mom was just diagnosed with celiac a couple of months ago. She was in and out of the hospital with acute renal failure/acidosis. She began to become stable and without symptoms so she went to vist family out of town. However, the visit was too much for her and she became sick again. She returned thursday night weak and lost 20lbs in 2 weeks. She has been in the bed sleeping since thurs. She is not eating, or hardly drinking. She says she just need to sleep and she will be fine. I don't know if I need to take her to the hospital or just let her sleep and try to get her to eat something. My concern is she may need blood transfusion, or iv.

Help don't know what to do and very frustrated.

I would get her to urgent medical care. The renal issues and acidosis are nothing to fool around with (I'm a type 1 diabetic).

If she won't let you take her, call an ambulance. I'm betting she won't be able or strong enough to tell them "No." She sounds seriously I'll. when you get this sorted out, let us know. I will say a prayer for her & you.

I would agree that she needs to see someone just to rule out anything serious. With her history that would be the wise thing to do.

Also keep in mind that where most of us screw up with the Celiac diet is when we go on vacation and are dependant on others to feed us or provide us with meals. Do you know if she ate gluten free while she was visiting? If she was gluten-free prior to the trip and ate gluten while there she could well be suffering as a result of gluten. I know when I get glutened I am exhausted and can't make it through the day without a nap or two.

My mom was just diagnosed with celiac a couple of months ago. She was in and out of the hospital with acute renal failure/acidosis. She began to become stable and without symptoms so she went to vist family out of town. However, the visit was too much for her and she became sick again. She returned thursday night weak and lost 20lbs in 2 weeks. She has been in the bed sleeping since thurs. She is not eating, or hardly drinking. She says she just need to sleep and she will be fine. I don't know if I need to take her to the hospital or just let her sleep and try to get her to eat something. My concern is she may need blood transfusion, or iv.

Help don't know what to do and very frustrated.