irish daveyboy

Vitamin D Best Taken With Largest Meal Of Day, Study Finds

Rate this topic

Medline Plus Thursday, May 6, 2010

Your body may make better use of a vitamin D supplement if you take it with your largest meal, new research suggests.

Researchers at the Cleveland Clinic examined 17 patients with vitamin D deficiency who weren't getting better under treatment.

Over a period of two to three months, the patients were told to take vitamin D supplements with the biggest meal they ate each day.

This boosted the level of vitamin D in their blood by an average of 56 percent, the researchers said.

"This is an important finding for patients being treated for vitamin D deficiency," study senior author Dr. Angelo Licata said in a news release from the Cleveland Clinic.

"By doing something as simple as changing when you take your vitamin D supplement, you can improve the level in your blood by over 50 percent."

The study was recently published in the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_98470.html (You may need to be registered to access)

Best Regards,

David

Medline Plus Thursday, May 6, 2010

Your body may make better use of a vitamin D supplement if you take it with your largest meal, new research suggests.

"This is an important finding for patients being treated for vitamin D deficiency," study senior author Dr. Angelo Licata said in a news release from the Cleveland Clinic.

"By doing something as simple as changing when you take your vitamin D supplement, you can improve the level in your blood by over 50 percent."

The study was recently published in the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_98470.html (You may need to be registered to access)

Best Regards,

David

I spread my calcium (contains Vitamin D) supplement out and take them with my three meals a day. I supplement with extra Vitamin D at two or three of my meals. So according to this article, it would be beneficial to take the extra Vitamin D with my largest meal. I figured I'd be absorbing more if I spread it out. I'll make the change tomorrow.

I know some people who take their supplements without any food.

I know some people who take their supplements without any food.

I'm like that or was until now, My Vitamin + Calcium supplements were taken first thing in the Morning and about 9PM.

So I'll take the Vitamin D supplements at my evening meal and see if the readings improve in both Vitamin D levels and Calcium, next blood tests and Dexa scan in a few months.

Vitamin D is required to help Calcium absorption.

Best Regards,

David

I'm like that or was until now, My Vitamin + Calcium supplements were taken first thing in the Morning and about 9PM.

So I'll take the Vitamin D supplements at my evening meal and see if the readings improve in both Vitamin D levels and Calcium, next blood tests and Dexa scan in a few months.

Vitamin D is required to help Calcium absorption.

Best Regards,

David

I also take Vitamin D to help my calcium absorption. I was told to always take calcium with a meal. Since I have parathyroid issues, I still supplement with a huge dose of calcium so need to take it three times a day. I'll switch to taking the extra 2000-3000 IUs Vitamin D at my largest meal,which varies daily.

I'm not scheduled to have my calcium and Vitamin D levels for a while but will be interesting to see if they improve next time. Last blood test, my calicum was very low normal but my Vitamin D was middle normal. Haven't been told when I need my next dexa scan either.

I was hoping with better aborption just from going gluten free that my levels would improve. This will help out even more!

Thanks David--I've been splitting my calcium/D and extra D between breakfast and dinner, but I'll start talking all of the extra D at dinner. There's enough D in the calcium supplement to help with absorption in the morning I'm sure. :)