Lgood22573

Never Ending Search For Flour Substitute In Baking

Rate this topic

Success! Sweet sorghum flour- I really like it. Anybody else ever try baking with it? I have tried every kind of bean, potato, tapioca, etc. Finally, something I like!

Success! Sweet sorghum flour- I really like it. Anybody else ever try baking with it? I have tried every kind of bean, potato, tapioca, etc. Finally, something I like!

I love sorghum and use it in all my flour mixes. I also use quite a bit of buckwheat. :)

I'm a big fan of sorghum. A combination of sorghum, millet, and potato starch (not flour) is my favorite for baking. I can't stand the smell or taste of tapioca starch in baked goods and am not a big fan of bean flours (although I love beans on their own).

Great, will have to check some out. So far I've found I can use bean flour as a great replacement in frying and making roux where you're actually looking for a proteiny taste but when it comes to lighter more delicate flavors it is way too overpowering. Shame though because the strength of it's quite nice.

I use Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour and love it!

One of the biggies in my cooking - between rice flour, sorghum, and millet, I really don't miss "normal" flour all that much!

The only problem I have is how MANY flours I have :lol: . All the individual flours, a couple of pre-mixed personal blends, all those canisters....:rolleyes: Guar gum, xanthan gum, baking soda and powder, gelatin, ascrobic acid....Glad I have a big pantry :lol: Just freed up a canister because I am ditching quinoa - BAD reaction to some quinoa crackers. Although I never used much of it I figure I am better off without it -- too high in lectins :P

My husband who is not gluten free, just eats all my baked goods that way, likes the sorghum mix I use now better than rice based mixes. I also make pancakes with 1/2 brown rice flour and buckwheat flour that we love.

I love sorghum too. I have millet, sweet rice flour, potato starch and some mixes like Bob's Red Mill and Pamela's bread mix.

By the way, sorghum beer rocks.