starrytrekchic

Coffemate--Honey Vanilla Creme

Rate this topic

I got glutened *very* badly a little over two weeks ago (felt like I was going to die.) I'd added two new products to my diet that day--gum and honey vanilla creme coffeemate.

I finally decided it was the gum, since everything I've read lists coffemate as gluten free (liquid variety) and I've used their products in the past (though not this flavor). It's also listed as gluten free on the bottle.

Thing is, I tried it again a couple of days ago, nothing else new in my diet, and for the first time since I'd gotten sick, and I got really sick again. Is there any chance it's not gluten free and was mislabeled? It's a brand new flavor, so there's not a lot of info out there on it.

Are you eating other things made from milk without trouble? There isn't lactose in Coffee-Mate but it does have casein.

Yeah, I eat a ton of dairy--no problems with it. I also compared this coffeemate to another that I use regularly (and have no problem with), and they both had sodium caseinate listed, so I don't think it's that.

Could it be the actual coffee you are drinking it with. I posted last week about issues I was having with coffee. Various brands were making me really sick and a very helpful guy (Korwyn, I think) said that most coffee is processed/packaged together in like 4 big centers so cross-contamination is rampant.

It's possible...but I don't think likely because I've been using the same jar of coffee for about a month now. Seems unlikely that it would only gluten me twice, when everything's mixed together and I've had it on a lot of days.

Coffee can definitely be a problem though. I'm not sure about pure versions (like mine is), but I've been glutened by instant coffee before and by flavored versions. The instant coffee glutening was very mild, though, in comparison to what I went through the last two times.

Maybe it was a bad container and you got plain old food poisoned.