Chrissyb

Need Help With gluten-free Flour Tortillas

Rate this topic

I made gluten-free flour tortillas for the first time the other day this is the recipe I used.

Gluten Free Flour Tortillas

(makes 8 tortillas that are gluten free and casein free)

2 c. Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Mix

1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

2 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. salt

1 c. warm water

The flour mix I use was.

1 1/2 cups soughum flour

1 1/2 cups potatoe starch

1 cup tap flour

I usually make a double batch.

My husband and I both liked the flavor but they came out kind of gummy or chewy. I never made tortillas much before going gluten free so not sure how to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. If anybody has a different recipe that might be better I will take that too, I really miss flour tortillas and all the ones I have tried that are store bought to me are just not anywhere close.

I made gluten-free flour tortillas for the first time the other day this is the recipe I used.

Gluten Free Flour Tortillas

(makes 8 tortillas that are gluten free and casein free)

2 c. Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Mix

1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

2 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. salt

1 c. warm water

The flour mix I use was.

1 1/2 cups soughum flour

1 1/2 cups potatoe starch

1 cup tap flour

I usually make a double batch.

My husband and I both liked the flavor but they came out kind of gummy or chewy. I never made tortillas much before going gluten free so not sure how to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. If anybody has a different recipe that might be better I will take that too, I really miss flour tortillas and all the ones I have tried that are store bought to me are just not anywhere close.

I would try using corn starch instead of potato starch. Potato starch can be pretty gummy. Keep the tapioca starch, it'll keep the tortillas from falling apart.

I would try using corn starch instead of potato starch. Potato starch can be pretty gummy. Keep the tapioca starch, it'll keep the tortillas from falling apart.

That is a great idea if you can tolerate corn. Another alternative is to use arrowroot starch. You may have to increase the liquids because arrowroot will make them drier.

You might try switching the sorghum to rice flour. I made pastry with rice flour and when I added a bit of sorghum in place of some of the rice the pastry was sticky.

I used to make them with this recipe:

http://eatingglutenfree.com/recipes_bread/#tortillas

and

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=47650

(scroll down to find recipe)

works with df sour cream

you can compare ingredients or make a sample batch