This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Pittsburgh Member

Pittrider07

Pittrider07 Newbie

Hello everyone I'm Justin and new to the forum. I have had celiacs my whole life and I am currently finishing up my last semester at the University of Pittsburgh. I grew up in northern PA in a small town called Genesee, but have been living in Pittsburgh for the last 5 years or so. Just out of curiosity has anyone from Pittsburgh tried Gluuteny in Squirrel Hill, and if so how was it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFLindsey Explorer

Yes - and it is FANTASTIC. My boyfriend works in Oakland and stops by to pick up bread for me when I run out (I recommend the flax seed loaf). Also, I have had their white sandwich bread, whoopie pie, cupcakes, brownies, and pumpkin tarts. All of them are delicious, but the whoopie pie and pumpkin tart are my favorites! I can't wait to actually stop in myself but I haven't made it there yet.

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Justin

Welcome to celiac.com & to gluten-free pittsburgh... Gluten free is on the rise in Pgh. so are places to purchase & to dine out. I'm the founder of a gluten-free ministry in the area. If you need any help please ask.

blessings

mamaw

Pittrider07 Newbie

Thanks for the input Lindsey, I'm actually running low on bread and wanted to try something new. I'll have to go check out.

• 2 months later...
JBaby Enthusiast

Hi Justin. Gluuteny is very good. My favorite item is the double chocolate cookies. Tastes better than store bought that has gluten.

Mary Blackburn Newbie

Hey Justin welcome to the forum.

I live in Kittanning but I work in Pgh. Have you tried Mandy's Pizza yet? I just had their gluten free pizza last weekend while I was visiting my daughter on the Northside. It was really good.

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Mary

Welcome to the group. There is a wonderful Italian Place in Sharon Pa called Ferrara's Little Italy, they have a nice gluten-free menu plus a bakery. Three Sisters bread is what they serve , very good. Sisters Three are form our area. In Indiana, Pa there is Spaghetti Benders which also has a gluten-free menu. More pricey than the Sharon, Pa eatery.

I've been gluten-free for many years. I also test for the gluten-free community.

I will tell you that I have only been glutened once in the last eight years & it was recently within the last few months.It was from Mandy's..... & we were not treated very well. when questioning the gluten free status... We will not return ....I do know others who enjoy Mandy's & others who have had the same glutened issues. I will, myself only promote places that I'm postitive people will not get sick but I do run a gluten-free group in Butler, Pa. so I have to be sure about places before I tell members they will be safe.

If you haven't been to Soergel's in Wexford yet , Amy has a nice gluten-free store with lots of variety.

Our group also has a mini gluten-free coop if you are intested.

blessings

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mary Blackburn Newbie

Hi Mary

Welcome to the group. There is a wonderful Italian Place in Sharon Pa called Ferrara's Little Italy, they have a nice gluten-free menu plus a bakery. Three Sisters bread is what they serve , very good. Sisters Three are form our area. In Indiana, Pa there is Spaghetti Benders which also has a gluten-free menu. More pricey than the Sharon, Pa eatery.

I've been gluten-free for many years. I also test for the gluten-free community.

I will tell you that I have only been glutened once in the last eight years & it was recently within the last few months.It was from Mandy's..... & we were not treated very well. when questioning the gluten free status... We will not return ....I do know others who enjoy Mandy's & others who have had the same glutened issues. I will, myself only promote places that I'm postitive people will not get sick but I do run a gluten-free group in Butler, Pa. so I have to be sure about places before I tell members they will be safe.

If you haven't been to Soergel's in Wexford yet , Amy has a nice gluten-free store with lots of variety.

blessings

mamaw

Thanks that is good to know. This was pretty much my first venture on a fast food type of meal. My husband and I really don't eat out a lot. I would love to know more about your co-op. Perhaps you can pm me with some details.

Mary

• 3 weeks later...
Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Hi Mary

blessings

mamaw

Hi Mamaw,

Thanks for the information! I'm so dissappointed to hear about Mandy's. A friend just told me about them & I was thinking about trying their pizza. What a bummer. :(

Anyway, is there any way you could give me more information on your group? It would be so nice to meet everyone! Thanks! :) I Love Sorgels by the way! I was just there last weekend! Love it!

Archived