coffeetime

Kinnikinnick Pizza Crust

Rate this topic

My local Kroger just added Kinnikinnick pizza crust to their gluten-free selection. I could not believe how good they were. My non-celiac husband tried a piece and couldn't tell the difference between it and reg crust. They come 4 to a box (a very lg individual size)and cost around $8 in our area. I am going to try it with cinnamon and sugar for breakfast and the next time my family has sub-sandwiches for lunch I'm going to cut and toast for my "bread" My biggest complaint is that I only bought one box, thinking it's probably going to taste sour and crumbly like most gluten-free bread and I went back yesterday to buy more and they were sold out already.

These pizza shells are very tasty...my only issue with them is that one shell is 500 calories (the info on the package is for 1/2 of one). That's pretty high - considering you're going to top it with sauce, toppings, and cheese. I can eat at least one on my own...

I've been making "pizza" with Enjoy Life tortillas...for me it's all about the toppings anyway. No, not the same, but I wish I could buy a thinner (less calorie) crust.

These are very yummy! I put lots of sweet red pepper and pineapple on them so it counts as my fruit & vegetable serving. ;)

They are my favorite ready made crust. I always keep some on hand. I like to freeze the left over pizza sauce flat since I don't use a whole can on one and then with some Hormel pepperoni also on hand and cheese they make a quick filling no fuss meal. I have also baked them brushed them with olive oil and garlic and used them with hummus and thought that worked pretty well. Gosh I wish there was gluten-free pita bread.

. Gosh I wish there was gluten-free pita bread.

There is a pita, I haven't tried it yet. reddybread.com

There is a pita, I haven't tried it yet. reddybread.com

I've been intrigued about this too.

But for those with problems with soy, they are made with soy flour.

I know that Raven's got problems with soy so that is a no go for her.

I have a site with the nutritional info here so you can all see. Click on the label ingredients and you can see it larger.

http://vivalowcarb.com/ZoomImage.aspx?productID=4bde912c-62ca-4a7d-9d16-51d39839ec9f

I miss pita bread too.

I need to try and make pita from Carol Fenster's book soon and see how that turns out ...

I've been intrigued about this too.

But for those with problems with soy, they are made with soy flour.

I know that Raven's got problems with soy so that is a no go for her.

Bummer! Why isn't the gluten thing enough? Why more allergies and sensitivities? Sometimes life ain't fair! (not meant to start a discussion on God, fate, karma, my bad attitude, etc) :P

Bummer! Why isn't the gluten thing enough? Why more allergies and sensitivities? Sometimes life ain't fair! (not meant to start a discussion on God, fate, karma, my bad attitude, etc) :P

I know, I know!!

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but it was important for me to let you know the reddy bread has soy ... :(

Sorry, Kareng .... and Raven too ...

Coffeetime -

Where did you find the gluten free section at your Krogers? Cuz I looked all over mine and couldn't find anything gluten free! Thank you! :)

I know, I know!!

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but it was important for me to let you know the reddy bread has soy ... :(

Sorry, Kareng .... and Raven too ...

Hopefully if one company is making these someone else will soon also and do them without the soy. We can keep our fingers crossed. Or learn to make them ourselves, probally easier than trying gluten free phyllo which I also miss.

Coffeetime -

Where did you find the gluten free section at your Krogers? Cuz I looked all over mine and couldn't find anything gluten free! Thank you! :)

Ours is in the health food section. Our town is quite small (25,000 or so) but we have a large retirement community so our selection is really high for a small town. They offer enough products that I don't have to drive 2 hours to an Earth Fare. If you have one in your area ask the manager for products. Our manger told me his department heads take training on different food allergies every year.

Hopefully if one company is making these someone else will soon also and do them without the soy. We can keep our fingers crossed. Or learn to make them ourselves, probally easier than trying gluten free phyllo which I also miss.

Oh yes, Raven, I miss phylo too :(

Yum yum! Kinnikinnick pizza crusts are my favorite!! I'm so glad my local health food store started carrying them!

Cool, I've seen 'em but haven't tried 'em yet.

Udi's has rolled out their crusts, best I've had!

BTW, just had KK's animal cookies. Sweet, vanilla tasting, lighter cookies. Good stuff.

I've been pretty happy with all KK products.