This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Spices

conniebky

conniebky Collaborator

Can "spices" on ingredient listings be assumed to contain gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

I've never had any problems with "pure" spices but stay away from strange mixes or other combinations that might only say starch on the ingredients. If you get a jar of oregano or basil etc., it should be fine.

I guess for me its hard to assume anything when it comes to gluten in food. Have to get used to checking everything each time you buy it -- formulas change as do the source of the the basic ingredients manufacturers use which can also alter whats inside.

Have to always read the labels..

good luck

conniebky Collaborator

cuz last night I had a reaction and all I ate was Heinz ketchup which online says is gluten free and one of the ingredients is "spices".....I thought that was pretty vague and think maybe it's something I (everyone) should watch out for in the future. B)

10yrs.GF.RDH Newbie

Heinz ketchup is gluten free, but that does not mean that you don"t have a sensitivity to other ingredients. Although distilled vinagar is now considered to be gluten free, the newly diagnosed celiac may have additional problems/reactions until the digestive tract is well on it's way back to a health state. Many years ago, I was unintentionally contaminating myself almost daily. The whole first year can be riddled with trial and errors. Be patient. It is not only one food eaten THAT meal that may be the cause of your symptoms. Remember how long the digestive tract is(over 20feet). I always look back three days when I get any abnormal symptoms. Keeping a food diary is a very good idea. I know it's time consuming, but being sick and tired will only make your battle worse. Good Luck to you and stay strong!Ten years gluten-free,registered dental hygienist. ;)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Heinz uses distilled corn vinegar and is gluten free. The organic form used to contain gluten but I don't know if it still does. As the last poster noted it may not be the last meal you ate before you felt ill that got you it could be something from 3 or 4 days earlier. Also what did you eat with the meal other than the ketchup? There are companies, like Lay's who have copious lists of foods that are gluten free by ingredients but have a high risk of CC that is not disclosed on the labels. It can be hard at first to figure out what may have gotten us. A food diary is an excellent idea and may help you figure things out.

psawyer Proficient

No, actually, the opposite is true.

Gluten comes from grain, and grain cannot be labeled as "spices." The single word "spices" in an ingredient list can not hide gluten, at least not in Canada or the USA.

"Seasonings" are a whole different ball game, though.

minamoo Newbie

cuz last night I had a reaction and all I ate was Heinz ketchup which online says is gluten free and one of the ingredients is "spices".....I thought that was pretty vague and think maybe it's something I (everyone) should watch out for in the future. B)

I also reacted to Heinz ketchup which is suppose to be Gluten free and it happened several times. I stopped consuming it. I've had a range of other food intolerance tests and don't think I am sensitive to other ingredients in the ketchup, but know I am highly sensitive to Gluten even Codex Standard.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieGF Rookie

I actually just called Heinz last week. All of their ketchups are gluten free, they are aware that there is some internet rumor that the organic ketchup is not, which they assured me is not true. The did say that the gluten free page on their website is not up to date and sent me this list of all their CURRENT gluten free products:

May 21, 2010

Dear Stephanie,

Thank you for your interest in Heinz Products. We certainly understand how difficult it can be to find foods that meet the requirements of a restricted diet.

The following is a listing of all of our products that do NOT have gluten containing ingredients. If a product is not on this list, then it may contain gluten containing ingredients. Also, please note that recipes can change without notice. Therefore, we recommend you always check the ingredient statement on the label.

HEINZ PRODUCTS:

Heinz BBQ Sauces (Original, Chicken & Rib, Garlic, Honey Garlic Only)

Heinz Chili Sauce (All Varieties)

Heinz Cocktail Sauce (All Varieties)

Heinz Horseradish Sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Heinz Organic Ketchup

Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup

Heinz No-Sodium Added Ketchup

Heinz Hot Ketchup

Heinz Mustard (All Varieties)

Heinz Pickles (All Varieties)

Heinz Peppers (All Varieties)

Heinz Relish (All Varieties)

Heinz Sloppy Joe Sauce

Heinz Tartar Sauce

Heinz Traditional Steak Sauce

Heinz Worcestershire Sauce

Heinz Vegetarian Beans

Heinz Distilled White Vinegar

Heinz Red Wine Vinegar

Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar

Heinz Apple Cider Flavored Vinegar

Heinz Red Wine Vinegar

Heinz Garlic Wine Vinegar

Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauces (Original #7, Honey Smokehouse, Hickory Brown Sugar, Spicy BBQ Only)

Jack Daniel's EZ Marinader -- Teriyaki, Garlic & Herb, Steakhouse

Jack Daniel's Steak Sauce (Both Varieties)

Lea & Perrins White Wine Marinade

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce (All Varieties)

Lea & Perrins Traditional Steak Sauce

TGI Fridays Salsa (All Varieties)

CLASSICO PRODUCTS:

Classico Red Sauces (All Varieties)

Classico Alfredo Sauces (All Varieties)

Classico Pesto Sauces (All Varieties)

Classico Bruschetta (All Varieties)

DELIMEX PRODUCTS:

UPC CODE: PRODUCT NAME:

1769600019 Tamales, 12 ct. Delimex Chicken & Cheese

1769600028 Taquitos, 25 ct. Delimex Beef

1769600029 Taquitos, 25 ct. Delimex Chicken

1769600048 Taquitos, 36 ct. Delimex Beef

1769600095 Taquitos, 12 ct. Delimex Beef

1769600096 Taquitos, 12 ct. Delimex Chicken

1769600180 Taquitos, 60 ct. Delimex Beef

1769600186 Taquitos, 60 ct. Sam's Club Beef

1769600214 Taquitos, 25 ct. Delimex 3-Cheese

1769600565 Tamales, 20 ct. Beef, Sam's Club

1769600684 Taquitos, 66 ct. Costco Beef

1769600685 Taquitos, 66 ct. Costco Chicken

1769600315 Taquitos, 50 ct. Delimex Beef

1769600316 Taquitos, 50 ct. Delimex Chicken

1769602630 Taquitos, 50 ct. Delimex Chicken Grande

1769602640 Taquitos, 50 ct. Delimex Beef Grande

1769600189 Taquitos, 60 ct. Delimex Chicken

ORE-IDA PRODUCTS:

UPC CODE: PRODUCT NAME:

13120XXXXX- ALL VARIETIES of Ore-Ida

DownWithGluten Explorer

No, actually, the opposite is true.

Gluten comes from grain, and grain cannot be labeled as "spices." The single word "spices" in an ingredient list can not hide gluten, at least not in Canada or the USA.

"Seasonings" are a whole different ball game, though.

How do you know this stuff. Lol, you and someone else on the board...I think Richard or something? Always seem to have these obscure but helpful answers. (It's a compliment!)

I'm like the second guy who responded...I don't assume anything and always check first. Maybe as I get more versed/knowledged I'll get braver. It'll take time, though.

psawyer Proficient

How do you know this stuff. Lol, you and someone else on the board...I think Richard or something? Always seem to have these obscure but helpful answers. (It's a compliment!)

In my ten years on the diet, I have spent a lot of time learning about reading labels, and the regulations about them, both in Canada and the United States. Richard (lovegrov) has also done a lot of investigation about labels and ingredients. I live in Canada, but have traveled frequently in the US, and know how to read labels in both countries. Food sold at retail in either of these countries must conform to the rules of that jurisdiction--it does not matter where the product is made.

GFinDC Veteran

Well Connie, tomatoes are a nightshade vegetable, so maybe you had a reaction to them? Potatoes and peppers are also common nightshades that some of us react too.

Archived