melblondin

Mary Kay Eyesicles Vanilla

Rate this topic

Hi all -

Just wondering if any of you could take a look at this ingredient list and tell me if it is gluten free. Everytime I use this product my eyelids get red and they burn - trying to figure out if there's a gluten derived ingredient in it or if it's something else that I'm reacting to.

Here's the list and thanks in advance!!!!

Ingredients

Cyclopentasiloxane , Cyclohexasiloxane , Isohexadecane , Triisostearin ,Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer , Beeswax , Octyl Isononanoate , PTFE ,Quaternium-90 Bentonite , Tribehenin , C18-36 Acid Triglyceride ,Phenoxyethanol , Propylene Carbonate , Bismuth Oxychloride ,Cyclotetrasiloxane , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Mica , Titanium Dioxide ,Iron Oxides

May Contain Ingredients

Carmine

Hi! I don't see anything in there that typically contains gluten, but there are a few common irritants in there that I (being gluten intolerant) am also sensitive to:

Bismuth Oxychloride--a common irritant, but typically added to makeup (esp. mineral makeup) to create shine or shimmer, bismuth oxychloride is actually a heavy metal and known to cause skin irritation

Methylparaben , Propylparaben--these estrogen mimicers can wreak all kinds of havoc on the body, including cause skin irritation, but if you've never noticed a reaction to a skin lotion or other topical product that contains parabens, this one is not likely the culprit in this case

Carmine--another common "natural" or mineral makeup ingredient, but also a common irritant, I stopped using a lot of very "safe/natural" products that contain this red pigment--it's one of the only true reds found in nature, but guess where it comes from--it's derived from ground beetle abdomens

Bismuth and Carmine are the most likely, so I'd check any other products that have irritated in the past to see if they contain either of these ingredients.

I honestly couldn't tell you, but they make my eyes burn too! You may want to investigate some other brands that offer a similar, much better product than companies like Mary Kay. My favorites so far -- that don't bother my skin -- are Too Faced and Urban Decay's primer potion in Sin. I haven't had an issue with them. If you go some place like UTLA or Sephora, you can try them first, see how it feels, then decide to purchase WITH a good return policy. :)

Thanks for the tips! It was given to me as a gift, so I'm not loyal to the company or anything and have no problem switching :-)

Hi all -

Just wondering if any of you could take a look at this ingredient list and tell me if it is gluten free. Everytime I use this product my eyelids get red and they burn - trying to figure out if there's a gluten derived ingredient in it or if it's something else that I'm reacting to.

Here's the list and thanks in advance!!!!

Ingredients

Cyclopentasiloxane , Cyclohexasiloxane , Isohexadecane , Triisostearin ,Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer , Beeswax , Octyl Isononanoate , PTFE ,Quaternium-90 Bentonite , Tribehenin , C18-36 Acid Triglyceride ,Phenoxyethanol , Propylene Carbonate , Bismuth Oxychloride ,Cyclotetrasiloxane , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Mica , Titanium Dioxide ,Iron Oxides

May Contain Ingredients

Carmine

I am allergic to Mary Kay products. Still have a few scars on my face from outbreaks from wearing her makeup for a short while. I tried her eye shadow again, oh, 15 years later a few years back, and had the same reaction that you mentioned. I returned it and have never investigated why.