kbidarch

48 Hours Gluten Free, And Daughter Wants To Eat All The Time

Rate this topic

First two days gluten-free have gone really well. My daughter has been eating lots of fruits, veggies, cheese, yogurt, meat, etc. She's 3.5, and gluten-intolerant, but apparently not Celiac. She hasn't minded the no-gluten thing (so far!) but she wants to eat ALL THE TIME. We've been feeding her good meals, lots of food - and then she snacks and snacks and snacks. She only weighs about 24 lbs (had been losing weight, which took us to the GI doctor to begin with), so gaining some weight would be a GREAT thing. I'm just curious -- is insatiable appetite typical in the beginning of going off gluten?

I was absolutely starving for the first few months. I figured my body was finally getting the nutrients it was needing and was telling me it wanted more.

yes! this is VERY normal (or as normal as this is as no one person has the same symptomology!)

one thing you may want to do is talk to her dr about an APPROPRIATE multivitamin (NOT a commercial chew-able) to make sure her body is absorbing the right amounts.

good luck & know you have support here!

I was absolutely starving for the first few months. I figured my body was finally getting the nutrients it was needing and was telling me it wanted more.

I have to second this. I'm still starving and I'm on month 4 now. I am ravenous all the time. But it does give me a good indication if my food has been contaminated with gluten, my appitite just shuts down.

For me, my first worry about that was gaining weight. I am small, I have a small frame, so it was a little odd at first to actually experience the opposite. I'm eating twice the amount of food I used to, and losing weight, it's very weird.

Since your child is just a baby I don't think massive weight gain in the concern. Just follow your instincts and feed that little munschkin all the good things a growing kid needs. Keeping it all gluten free, of course. I think in a few months things will probably settle down a bit once her body is out of "must get all nutrients" mode. And more into regular fuel mode.