samcarter

Shared Equipment

Rate this topic

So I never thought I was this sensitive to gluten. I knew that if i actually ate something with gluten, I would start getting the symptoms--headache, sometimes a bad stomach, most often neuropathy. I had been avoiding even stuff with wheat starch (like Pringles). Because I knew that would cause the same symptoms.

Then I went to Trader Joe's yesterday, to get some pizzas for the kids. I picked up a bag of tortilla chips--should be safe, right? And a container of spicy guacamole (which turned out to taste horrible, but that's beside the point).

A few hours after dinner, I had a horrible stomachache, the same kind of sleepiness I get when I've been glutened with a big dose of wheat, and a headache. I looked at the labels--"made on shared equipment." Now, I i had seen this, but before on Trader Joe's labels they make a point of saying that their providers take care to avoid cross-contamination. Not any more, it seems. It also seems my sensitivity is getting worse, not better. UGH.

Anybody else have trouble with trader joe's food? seems like even if they say it uses gluten free ingredients, everything is made on shared equipment. I'm going to have to go back to buying dedicated gluten free foods from dedicated facilities, and whole foods all the way, I guess.

I completely avoid food made on the same equipment. I have reacted every single time.

I personally don't have issues (thus far) with foods made on shared equipment, but from what I've read, folks have different levels of sensitivity. You may need to avoid it in the future.

For the most part I avoid it too - been zinged too many times. I used to eat Tostitos with my family when we would have the occassional nachos...but it was hit & miss and I got tired of the misses. Ugh. Now I eat Riceworks plain chips while they eat nachos.

When we were in New York last summer we went to Trader Joes and I got hit a few times. Gotta admit, I wondered what the big deal was with TJ's because before I went it was recommended to buy food there. I did much better at a small natural market that carried a lot more gluten-free food. Is it TJs that has the "gluten free" label and then has the "made in a factory that uses gluten" on it ? Those I avoid totally.

I have noticed some things lately labeled "naturally gluten free" and then have that disclaimer...it's a loophole to sound gluten-free but not be. Same with the one that goes along the lines of being made without gluten ingredients.

For the most part I avoid it too - been zinged too many times. I used to eat Tostitos with my family when we would have the occassional nachos...but it was hit & miss and I got tired of the misses. Ugh. Now I eat Riceworks plain chips while they eat nachos.

When we were in New York last summer we went to Trader Joes and I got hit a few times. Gotta admit, I wondered what the big deal was with TJ's because before I went it was recommended to buy food there. I did much better at a small natural market that carried a lot more gluten-free food. Is it TJs that has the "gluten free" label and then has the "made in a factory that uses gluten" on it ? Those I avoid totally.

I have noticed some things lately labeled "naturally gluten free" and then have that disclaimer...it's a loophole to sound gluten-free but not be. Same with the one that goes along the lines of being made without gluten ingredients.

Oh, terrific. man I'm having a gluteney day. I'm sitting here eating Tostitos.......

If it is a product that I eat regularly, I don't do shared equipment. However, if it is a one-time thing, or I'm at someone's house and that's all there is to eat, for example, I'll make an exception.

Sometimes I think it's good to call the company and see exactly what the situation is, how they minimize cross-contamination. However, I know some people aren't able to eat anything that's processed on shared equipment. I never have experienced a negative reaction from doing it, but then again, I've never done it on a regular basis.

Most of the time I tolerate shared equipment food OK but I've had an occasional glutening where that was the only sensible explanation.

Oh, terrific. man I'm having a gluteney day. I'm sitting here eating Tostitos.......

Connie, I don't have a problem eating Tostitos, Lay's regular potato chips, Fritos, Cheetos, etc. (I'm talking about the plain ones as I'm sure that not all varieties have gluten free ingredients...I always check the label before buying). So maybe I'm not that sensitive. Hopefully you'll be fine, too!!! biggrin.gif

I never worry about it and haven't had any problems. I only worry about gluten ingredients.

best regards, lm

I avoid foods made on shared equipment. It just isn't worth the risk to me. I used to eat Tostitos but when I stopped soy I cut them out. Wylde brand gluten-free pretzels are soy free. Tiny but tasty.