Luvbeingamommy

Could Two Pretzels Really Make Me Sick?

Rate this topic

I am SO mad at myself. We were at the grocery store and they had a ton of samples, we skipped most of them. I was at a stand that had brats and I was checking the package, it was safe. Well they served them on PRETZELS and I TOTALLY missed it, I can't believe it. How stupid asking about gluten free and then eating the pretzel and I ate my husbands and then it hit me! Now i have nausea and upset stomach still 3 days later :(.

I don't know if I actually have Celiac, my blood work was inconclusive, my biopsy didn't show damage, but I had inflammation and some healing sores. I do have the main celiac gene plus the sensitivity gene related to neurological problems and I had a stroke in Nov. at 25, comeplete workup and nothing else. My neurologist thinks it was the gluten. I am just considering that I do have Celiac and I am finding out am VERY sensitive.

Some people are so sensitive that they will be sick for 2 or 3 weeks just from cross contamination. 2 pretzels for a person with Celiac or gluten intolerance is actually quite a lot of gluten.

It sounds like you probably do have celiac disease. I hope you feel better soon. It can take a while to get use to all the things that you can no longer just grab and eat absentmindedly. I find that I almost eat things like that sometimes too, but I'm getting more used to it.

Oh man, well it was definitely a little wake up call for me, even though I tend to consider myself pretty careful.

I just was feeling better after finally getting new cookware, and now this :(. Oh well, you live and learn.

I can't eat the brats anymore either, they make me sick. I think it is cross contamination from the beer in some of the brats. :( And I do love them!

I am SO mad at myself. We were at the grocery store and they had a ton of samples, we skipped most of them. I was at a stand that had brats and I was checking the package, it was safe. Well they served them on PRETZELS and I TOTALLY missed it, I can't believe it. How stupid asking about gluten free and then eating the pretzel and I ate my husbands and then it hit me! Now i have nausea and upset stomach still 3 days later :(.

I don't know if I actually have Celiac, my blood work was inconclusive, my biopsy didn't show damage, but I had inflammation and some healing sores. I do have the main celiac gene plus the sensitivity gene related to neurological problems and I had a stroke in Nov. at 25, comeplete workup and nothing else. My neurologist thinks it was the gluten. I am just considering that I do have Celiac and I am finding out am VERY sensitive.

Wow I never thought of that....yikes we just had the last of them for lunch too. *sigh* this is tough I don't know what I can/should/be eating :(. How do I know if cross contamination can occur with other products. If it doesn't say made in a gluten free facility, sometimes it will say made in a facility with milk, egss, etc. What if it says nothing, then how do I know??

If I ate two pretzels, I'd be immobile. and i'm not being funny.

Wow I never thought of that....yikes we just had the last of them for lunch too. *sigh* this is tough I don't know what I can/should/be eating :(. How do I know if cross contamination can occur with other products. If it doesn't say made in a gluten free facility, sometimes it will say made in a facility with milk, egss, etc. What if it says nothing, then how do I know??

It can be very helpful to go with as much whole unprocessed food as you can. Until you heal try to keep heavily processed food to a real minimum. When you are well healed then branch out a bit by adding items carefully. Some tolerate shared facilities and some don't. It will be easier to tell which group you fall into when you are fully healed. When I am in doubt with any product I call the maker or enter the item and the word gluten into a search engine and see if the company has a page with the info we need. There are some companies that can make things easietrfor us. If you live near a Wegmans shop there, all gluten-free stuff is clearly labeled. Kraft and Unilever are good companies for labeling. If you don't see wheat, rye or barley it isn't there. It gets easier after time.