Rate this topic

My son was diagnosed with celiac disease last November. He is now two years old and we have been really trying to keep gluten out of our home. Sometimes he has severe reactions that I an not trace. I am wondering if my cookware (cast iron in particular) can carry gluten from my previous cooking habits? If so is there a treatment that will make my cookware safe?

My son was diagnosed with celiac disease last November. He is now two years old and we have been really trying to keep gluten out of our home. Sometimes he has severe reactions that I an not trace. I am wondering if my cookware (cast iron in particular) can carry gluten from my previous cooking habits? If so is there a treatment that will make my cookware safe?

Hi, I don't know any "treatments" to make the cookware safe, but I have read here that cast iron is the worst offender in cc. The next worst would be non-stick treated pots and pans--the gluten can get in any scratches. I think that stainless steel would be safest because you can scour it really good with a scrubber, however, I played it safe and got rid of all my old cookware. If you son is very sensitive than yes he can be glutened by the cookware and also by any plastic or wooden utensils previously used on gluten. It's worth considering buying one pan and for gluten-free food for him only.

You can put the old cast iron in the oven and set it for the "cleaning" cycle. Don't use any products on it. When it's done wash thoroughly and reseason. Dedicate to gluten-free only. We had two cast iron skillets and we dedicated one to gluten-free and the other for gluteny stuff.