thaichicken

Burt's Bees Not A Friendly Gluten Free Company.

Rate this topic

The allergen labeling law only covers food. It does not apply to either drugs, OTC or script or to cosmetic and toiletries. Hopefully someday that will change. We don't want to 'steal' their propriatary formulas we only want to know if something is safe for us to use.

If a company ever acts like they have something to hide, then it's certainly something they know is bad enough that it will cost them business.

• Upvote 1

The allergen labeling law only covers food. It does not apply to either drugs, OTC or script or to cosmetic and toiletries. Hopefully someday that will change. We don't want to 'steal' their propriatary formulas we only want to know if something is safe for us to use.

Yeah, that's funny. I even tried to explain that to her in a second email. That I wasn't trying to steal their formulation and that I was allergic to wheat? Again she flat out refused to tell me anything. She didn't even offer any kind of suggestions. I got nothing but horrible customer service.

I only decided to use the Almond Milk Hand Creme because it was on their gluten free product list. I can't be certain it was the vitamin E in this product it also had an overwhelming fragrance. That could have been the culprit too. I guess I will never know they refuse to divulge their top secret information.

If a company ever acts like they have something to hide, then it's certainly something they know is bad enough that it will cost them business.

I agree if a company won't give you the source of an ingredient than something is seriously wrong.

Yeah, that's funny. I even tried to explain that to her in a second email. That I wasn't trying to steal their formulation and that I was allergic to wheat? Again she flat out refused to tell me anything. She didn't even offer any kind of suggestions. I got nothing but horrible customer service.

I only decided to use the Almond Milk Hand Creme because it was on their gluten free product list. I can't be certain it was the vitamin E in this product it also had an overwhelming fragrance. That could have been the culprit too. I guess I will never know they refuse to divulge their top secret information.

All this is really unfortunate. Burt's Bees used to be an excellent product line. It is too bad they sold out to big business. They also were a US company with their products made here. I wonder if now the products are being made in a foreign country like China which might mean the home company no longer has any idea what really goes into it. I will have to look on some labels just to satisfy my curiosity.

Burt's Bees was sold to Clorox in 2007. Seems like you could sock them with some of their own promises contained here: http://www.burtsbees.com/u/faqs.html#4 such as

We will always stay steadfast behind our values and commitment to making the best natural personal care products with the most environmentally sensitive packaging and nature-safe manufacturing processes. And, above all, we'll continue on with our social mission to make people's lives better every day, naturally

or

Burt's Bees is growing intelligently, gracefully and with "great care", always staying true to our mission: "Make natural personal care products available to everyone, everywhere."