MartialArtist

French/italian Bread Pan

Rate this topic

I'm about to buy a french or italian bread pan (don't want a skinny baguette one -- looking for the 4" wide kind). Some are perforated and some are solid. The perforated ones are billed as letting air flow and making a crisper crust, which seems like a nice feature for a bread like this. But gluten-free doughs are so often soft that I'm wondering if I'm going to have a problem with the dough kinda glopping through the holes and making a mess (and a funny shaped surface that is more likely to burn and such).

Does anyone have experience with either variety and can you recommend one over the other for me? It's just not right to make a french-bread tasting loaf in a square-bottom traditional bread pan -- shape and texture mismatch messes with my mind! :)

I'm about to buy a french or italian bread pan (don't want a skinny baguette one -- looking for the 4" wide kind). Some are perforated and some are solid. The perforated ones are billed as letting air flow and making a crisper crust, which seems like a nice feature for a bread like this. But gluten-free doughs are so often soft that I'm wondering if I'm going to have a problem with the dough kinda glopping through the holes and making a mess (and a funny shaped surface that is more likely to burn and such).

Does anyone have experience with either variety and can you recommend one over the other for me? It's just not right to make a french-bread tasting loaf in a square-bottom traditional bread pan -- shape and texture mismatch messes with my mind! :)

I have the perforated kind of baguette bread pan and have not been willing to risk having pimples on my bread, so I use a baking paper liner :D . It came in handy one day when I let the bread overrise a little and it started slopping over the sides - I just used the ends of the paper to lift it up and mold it back into shape:lol:

I use Bette Hagman's New French bread recipe in the skinny perforated pans from King Arthur flour for baguettes that come out wonderfully. I think with wider perforated pans it would probably work just as well - those holes are really too small for anything to seep through without some pressure being applied. Just put a baking sheet on the rack beneath when you are baking.

Margaret