This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Scared

Scaredandworried87

ravenwoodglass Mentor

so i am also reading about how people are allergic to other things like soy and vegatables and other thing right now im so worried about what i can and can't eat i could handle going breadless but to me it feels like if i go gluten free it will end up revealing other allergies im a security guard i can't afford buying all the other things and i live in a hick town i might as well just drink myself to death

Sorry about calling you a 'she'. It is hard to know whether we are she's or he's often times from out board names. There are a couple of folks here that I assumed were men and then found out after a couple years they were women so I make the mistake the other way too. :D

Right now just be concerned about the gluten. If after you have been gluten-free for a couple months you are still having issues then explore the possiblity of other intolerances.

There are some convience foods that are gluten free like Hormel Beef stew and their scalloped potatoes and ham that you can find in a regular grocery store. I know this seems like it is going to be a horrendous change but it becomes easier in time. I don't know where you are but if there is a Wegmans within driving distance they label all their gluten free food with a circle G. Hopefully you have one close by to shop at but even if you don't it won't be too long before you learn what 'regular' grocery items are safe. There are some good gluten free breads, Kinnickinnick and Grainless Baker are both good, Ener-g makes crackers and pretzels etc that you can find on line if not at a store near you. You don't have to cut them out of your life completely just eat the high calorie stuff in moderation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

farmwife67 Explorer

I found I was gaining weight because I was buying all of the gluten free processed crap! I decided to go completely grain free, especially after watching the videos on www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned). Dr. Osborne says all grains contain gluten, even rice and corn. So I made the switch and have been losing a pound or two a week ever since. I eat all of the fruits, veggies, meats and nuts and seeds I want. There are flours you can use to make things, like almond flour, tapiocca flour. You have to make most of your foods because you can't even have corn syrup or corn starch but I feel much better than when I was just eating traditional gluten free.

If you are getting tested I would keep eating gluten or you will test negative. Then, I would get back on the gluten-free wagon and live healthy! :rolleyes:

Good Luck,

Lori

MartialArtist Apprentice

I know this is so hard to take, but it's best if you start to look at bread and pasta as a treat you have every once in a while instead of a staple of your diet. There are gluten free breads and pastas out there that are good, but they will not be what you are used to. They are also expensive, much more expensive than regular gluten food. Finally gluten-free baked goods are usually higher in carbs than non-gluten free. If you want to lose weight you don't want to eat gluten-free bread for every meal.

At first, I totally ignored any nutritional info about the gluten-free bread, pasta, dessert, and pancake (especially those) replacement products and went totally on TASTE (i.e. which one tasted the most like my favorite gluten version). But I have discovered that what you say here is very right -- that they are higher in carbs (including sugar) and by extension calories than their gluten counterparts. So I'm going to have to discipline myself b/c I really WANT them.

That said, I disagree about the gluten-free pastas not being what one might be used to. I have found the Tinkyada brown rice pastas to be almost perfect replacements for my old pastas in all cases. They don't have all the shapes I used, but as far as taste and texture, by the time they're in a dish with a sauce, I don't notice the difference at all. That's true whether it's a tomato sauce or a cheese sauce.

psawyer Proficient

I have found the Tinkyada brown rice pastas to be almost perfect replacements for my old pastas in all cases. They don't have all the shapes I used, but as far as taste and texture, by the time they're in a dish with a sauce, I don't notice the difference at all. That's true whether it's a tomato sauce or a cheese sauce.

I love Tinkyada brown rice pasta! :)

Korwyn Explorer

im not a diagnosed celiac but i have been developing problems that fit the bill, just last week i got my blood test results and now the doctor wants an upper endoscopy, i was prepared to go gluten free and help my self get healthy in fact im avoiding already breads and watching products that have gluten, but now that i've read that when you go gluten free you will gain weight it nearly drove me to tears i was a skinny kid all my life and had gained 200 pounds from the ages of 19-21, lost the weight (nearly 80 lbs) mostly from what i thought was hard work diet and exercise. im so scared because the thought of being my old self i couldn't stand it please someone help me....

Hi Scaredandworried,

Not everyone gains weight, that depends on a lot of factors. I lost 45 pounds in the last year. The problem for a lot of people is that if they have the nutritional malabsorption issues, when they go gluten free and they continue eating carbs and refined grains that are gluten free, their bodies start healing and they start absorbing nutrients they were not getting before. This impacts their insulin levels, hormones, and the triglyceride fat storage cycle.

One of the things that I have suggested to people I've had this conversation is that once you go gluten free, move to a whole (unprocessed, mostly raw) foods diet, rich in protein, meat broths, and lots of veggies (especially green, but very few grains at all including corn), avocados and unrefined coconut oil. Then, once your body begins to heal up, you can being adding grains and things back into your diet - assuming you want to! :)

Archived