This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Betty Crocker To Come Through Again!

lovegrov

lovegrov Collaborator

Got this from Connie Sarros' e-mail newsletter. Didn't know if it had been posted here yet:

Betty Crocker Does It Again!

The prevalence of celiac disease has had quite an impact on food companies. They hear the demand for more gluten-free products and they're responding.

Betty Crocker will soon have your grocer's shelves stocked with gluten-free Bisquick! But wait... there's more. In mid-July, you'll also be able to buy gluten-free Hamburger Helper in three different flavors ~ Chicken Fried Rice, Cheesy Hashbrowns, and Beef Fried Rice. The packages will be clearly labeled on the front "Gluten Free".

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

This makes me so excited! I saw the news last month and have been scouring my stores, hoping to see the Bisquick mix! :)

jerseyangel Proficient

I heard about these--can not wait for the Bisquick!!!

Thanks Richard :D

piglips82 Rookie

YAY!!!!!!!! I'm so excited!

Roda Rising Star

I'm looking forward to trying the bisquick mix. I never liked hamburger helper so I don't care about that. Their brownies are my favorite, nice and fudgy not cake-like.

DANIEL*S AMBER Newbie

IM SOOOO EXCITED.. I WISH OTHER COMPANIES WOULD BE JUST LIKE BETTY CROCKER.. THEY GET 10 STARS YAY THIS JUST MADE MY DAY THANKS

luvs2eat Collaborator

This is a double-edged sword for me. On one hand... I can't WAIT for the bisquick... I've missed dumplings in stew! On the other hand... I don't need ONE excuse to embrace convenience food!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yup Apprentice

I hope they bring it them to Canada as well! So far their gluten-free products are made in the great white north, but not sold here. GRRRRRR....

Jonbo Apprentice

I found Beef Fried Rice Hamburger Helper labeled Gluten Free tonight. Chicken fried rice and cheesy hashbrowns I haven't seen yet with the new label. Forgot to check to see if gluten-free Bisquick was out yet. Hopefully at some point they will introduce a rice pasta or corn pasta version of the more "tradition" kind to see how reaction is instead of just the more obvious ones being reformulated.

luvthelake21 Rookie

We just had the Asian Fried rice where you just add chicken tonight for dinner and it was great, family said it is just as good as P.F. Changs. The best part was I found it at Walmart for a $1.50 a box. Made two boxes and a couple of cut up chicken breast for $3.00 had a $6.00 dinner that fed 3 people with left overs. Thanks Betty Crocker

summerteeth Enthusiast

This is a double-edged sword for me. On one hand... I can't WAIT for the bisquick... I've missed dumplings in stew! On the other hand... I don't need ONE excuse to embrace convenience food!

I'm with you there! I love having the option, though, especially around the holidays!

conniebky Collaborator

Wonderful!

My family will love me again - I can make chicken n dumplings again!

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Hmm, that's not my experience with that cake mix at all, and I am also from the south. :D I found it to be moist and tender and not so grainy. It does require quite a bit of butter, but it is cake after all.

babinsky Apprentice

I use their mixes all the time...my family and friends love them, and my son and I are the only Celiac's.

mindwiped Rookie

I saw the Asian chicken recipe, but I figured it was normally gluten-free, and didn't realize until now that this was a reformulation. It could be a good thing, but since Mrs. Leeper's seems so incredibly salty, IDK how I'll do with Hamburger Helper again

macocha Contributor

Make sure your local stores are aware. I have asked ours to carry some products they did not have and some they have been happy to oblige :)

MindytheOrganist Enthusiast

This is very good news! I used Bisquick all the time for pancakes and drop biscuits.

I tried the cake mix and had better luck with the chocolate cate, brownies, and cookies. I've never had good luck with yellow cake mix, gluten-free and non-gluten-free.

I have been making the Mrs. Leepers meals, but am looking forward to gluten-free Hamburger Helper.

Thanks for keeping up on new products!

macocha Contributor

Mindy, I have a recipe alteration for the yellow cake mix. you mix in pumpkin. it is on the recipe board somewhere...lol

• 1 month later...
MissyJoy Rookie

A friend just gave me a box of the Asian Chicken Helper from Betty Crocker. It says "Gluten Free" but the ingredience says "Yeast Extract" is in it. Does this concern anyone? Usually when I see "yeast" I avoid that product. Maybe I am too cautious.... just wondering what you all think - before I try it!

kareng Grand Master

A friend just gave me a box of the Asian Chicken Helper from Betty Crocker. It says "Gluten Free" but the ingredience says "Yeast Extract" is in it. Does this concern anyone? Usually when I see "yeast" I avoid that product. Maybe I am too cautious.... just wondering what you all think - before I try it!

If you have a problem with yeast, you should avoid it. A few people do. Or if you are a strict vegan since yeast is a living organism. Otherwise, I don't know why you would.

lovegrov Collaborator

Not sure why you avoid it. Yeast is gluten-free.

richard

MissyJoy Rookie

I guess in my head I connected "yeast" with bread so have been avoiding it, never thinking that it wasn't part of the wheat problem. I also fought a chronic intestinal yeast infection for 2 1/2 years and had to do the anti-candida diet for that long. Yeast was my enemy then and my hatred of it carried over, apparently needlessly, into my Celiac diet. Thanks for setting me straight! :)

BethM55 Enthusiast

Mindy, I have a recipe alteration for the yellow cake mix. you mix in pumpkin. it is on the recipe board somewhere...lol

Do you mix in the pumpkin instead of the butter? Or as an additional ingredient. An entire stick of butter seems like a lot of butter.

Ceciwright Rookie

I keep checking for the gluten-free Bisquick at my local (Austin, Texas) grocery stores. No luck yet, but I spoke to a manager at HEB yesterday and am hoping he'll try to get it.

I found it today at Walmart! They had the Bisquick and the Asian Fried Rice Hamburger Helper.

macocha Contributor

I paid 4.79 for a small box of the gluten free bisquick. can't believe the price. :angry:

Beth, here is the recipe if you want...

1 box of yellow cake mix (gluten free)

1 cup pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie mix)

1/2 cup water

1/3 cup veggie oil

4 eggs

1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1 container of betty croker cream cheese frosting (I am sure any brand will do)

1. heat oven to 350 (325 for dark or nonstick pan). place paper cups in the muffin pans

2. in large bowl, beat cake mix, pumpkin, water, oil, eggs, and pumpkin pie spice w/ electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. beat on medium speed 2 mins, scraping bowl occasionally. put into muffin pan (I use a cake pan)

3. bake 20 to 25 mins or until toothpick comes out clean. cool completely 30 mins

5. frost and grub on em!

Archived