alissar

Fluid Retention..how Long Until It Goes Away?

Rate this topic

I recently found out I can't eat gluten. One of my symptoms is fluid retention. I get it in my ankles, hands, and face (esp. puffy eyes in a,m,). The odd thing is that my blood protein levels were in the low side of normal, but still normal. Any ideas what else could cause this fluid retention? I am a couple of months gluten-free and the fluid retention is improving drastically. I was wondering, for those of you had this symptom, how long before it went away completely after going gluten-free? Thanks!

For me it was about a month but if I get any gluten or even a bit of CC it returns. Different folks heal at different rates and it sounds like your is improving. Hopefully it will be gone soon.

I recently found out I can't eat gluten. One of my symptoms is fluid retention. I get it in my ankles, hands, and face (esp. puffy eyes in a,m,). The odd thing is that my blood protein levels were in the low side of normal, but still normal. Any ideas what else could cause this fluid retention? I am a couple of months gluten-free and the fluid retention is improving drastically. I was wondering, for those of you had this symptom, how long before it went away completely after going gluten-free? Thanks!

I noticed that my face wasn

I still have fluid retention after 4 years gluten-free. Since good kidney function is necessary to remove excess water from the body you might be helped by doing kidney cleanses. Some kinds of parasites cause water retention and people who do herbal parasite programs usually loose several pounds. I react to cow's milk with swollen ankles and legs so going cow dairy free may help. Other allergies and toxin build-up in the body can cause edema so elimination diets may help as may detoxification programs.

I could have posted this! I have the same thing, except, my illness started 1.5 years ago. In addition, I have had terrible bouts of pain in the joints (to the point of being so sore to walk) had all the tests done including colonoscopy, endoscopy. I got a note in the mail that just said. Negative test results. I had one polyp removed and told to come back in 5 years. I have a history of colon cancer in my family and terrified of getting it. But, docs keep telling me I am fine with gluten. I am dairy free for 2 days and still having pains. I feel crazy every time I go to a dr. I also have hashimotos too, so I am so curious to see what posters say for you. I agree with last poster, it doesn't hurt to try it. I am tired of the medical field saying I am fine.

I also had to cut out nuts and dairy to get my swelling down. If it doesn't clear up within a month or so, I would ask your doctor to run a full thyroid panel (not just TSH but T3 and T4 counts as well). I believe this is one of the symptoms, especially the swelling around the eyes. I still have puffy eyes in the A.M. but I have low T3 counts.

Guess what...3 days in a row without waking up with a puffy face/puffy eyes! That hasn't happened since I was about 15 years old! I am definitely thrilled by the positive results of cutting out gluten. Thank you for all of your responses. Hopefully, the fluid retention is gone for good (knock on wood).

Guess what...3 days in a row without waking up with a puffy face/puffy eyes! That hasn't happened since I was about 15 years old! I am definitely thrilled by the positive results of cutting out gluten. Thank you for all of your responses. Hopefully, the fluid retention is gone for good (knock on wood).

Great news!! Feeling better and looking better make all the hassle of this gluten-free lifestyle so worth it.