Lisa79

Echinacea And Other Supplements Not Suitable For Autoimmune

Rate this topic

The difference of opinions on Echinacea and autoimmune disease. A few different chemist said its fine to take with an Autoimmune disease, my Naturopath thinks its ok although she said was going to look into it more. But the research I have done on the net was very negative so I went into the health food shop and we went through some research books together and I have decided not to take Echinacea anymore. I think maybe for a day or two on the onset of a flu might be beneficial but as a general immune booster I have decided against.

It has got me wondering are there other supplements not suitable for autoimmune diseases?

What do you take for immune boosters in the flu seasons etc? My daughter doesn't take too well to garlic as it causes bad wind so I have stopped with her garlic caps to see how she goes and the wind is improving. I bought some blackmores immune boosters from the shop but I would like to know what others do to help boost their immunity in winter months.

Its not just for me, my daughter is also Celiac and my hubby has Diabetes T1 and he also has Thyroid problems.

Thanks

Lisa :)

I stay away from immune boosters altogether. The reason why is autoimmune disease can put our systems into hyperdrive, the reason the body starts to attack itself. Personally I don't want anything that is going to keep my immune system in that mode. That is my personal choice but I have also noticed that after becoming gluten free within a short time my body was able to fight off viruses all by itself. I haven't even had a cold in over 7 years now but before I went gluten-free I picked up every bug going around and usually it took a very long time to shake it off. My immune system was so busy fighting gluten and my own body it didn't have a chance to fight off anything else.

It has got me wondering are there other supplements not suitable for autoimmune diseases?

Thanks

Lisa :)

Thanks everyone :)

I think I will stick with Vit C and l-glutamine which I have been taking since going gluten-free, I guess good nutrition is the best way to keep healthy.