This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten In Mixed Nuts?

siglfritsch

siglfritsch Newbie

Would a jar of mixed nuts be somehow contaminated with wheat? The label read only the nuts, nothing else even added. At a support group meeting someone said to buy a block of cheese and shred it yourself because sometimes the pre-shredded is mixed with flour so it doesn't stick together. Wouldn't that have to be on the label? Also if corn torillas only list corn as an ingredient could they contain gluten? Sorry if my questions are dumb, but I"m a newbie and this is all very confusing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I have heard of flavored nuts containing gluten, but never plain ones.

If wheat flour were added to shredded cheese, it would have to be listed as an ingredient. I have never seen a case where it is. If you doubt that, you can always choose Kraft--they will never hide gluten.

If corn is the only ingredient, then there is no gluten.

gary'sgirl Explorer

I have heard of flavored nuts containing gluten, but never plain ones.

If wheat flour were added to shredded cheese, it would have to be listed as an ingredient. I have never seen a case where it is. If you doubt that, you can always choose Kraft--they will never hide gluten.

If corn is the only ingredient, then there is no gluten.

It's true that if they do not list gluten containing ingredients that it does not, except in the case of when they use the word "flavors" or "spices" it could possibly contain barley.

The other thing you have to be careful of is although they may not contain gluten ingredients they may be cross contaminated because of being made on shared equipment or in facility that produces other products that contain gluten.

I have found that any tortillas can be tricky, because most companies make both four and corn tortillas. Nuts are tricky too, I have not yet found a brand that does not have a risk of cross contamination, but I have only been looking into this for a short time and have not been able to devote a lot of time to it.

I have found that cross contamination is a problem with a lot of things that "should" be safe.

psawyer Proficient

In the case of when they use the word "flavors" or "spices" it could possibly contain barley.

Barley can hide in flavors, but never in "spices." "Seasonings" is another ball game, though.
GFinDC Veteran

I have found that any tortillas can be tricky, because most companies make both four and corn tortillas. Nuts are tricky too, I have not yet found a brand that does not have a risk of cross contamination, but I have only been looking into this for a short time and have not been able to devote a lot of time to it.

I think you would be fine with Mission brand corn tortillas. I saw a program on the tube about their factory. They have 4 dedicated lines making nothing but corn tortillas.

• 2 years later...
clevercate Newbie

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forum. Right now I am doing my " homework". I've been looking for safe -to-eat mixed nuts and found this:

Open Original Shared Link

"We are Certified Gluten-Free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO). The GFCO certification meets more stringent requirements for gluten-free products than federal guidelines. Certification assures that the product contains less than 10ppm gluten (5ppm gliadin). No testing method is available that measures to zero."

Hope this helps. :D

Juliebove Rising Star

Techically anything could contain gluten if it is made on shared lines.  You not only have to read the ingredients but look for that statement as well.  

I have heard the statement about cheese but have never actually seen any with wheat in it.

Nuts from Costco, Trader Joes and also Walmart can be made on shared lines.  Always read every part of the label.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived