MartialArtist

Fava Bean Flour Substitute

Rate this topic

I've read that bean flours tend to give at least the batter (and possible the final product) a slightly beany flavor. This is not a huge problem for gluten-free flour tortillas, since I'll mostly use them for mexican food, but I don't currently have that on hand and I have so many flours in my house at this point it's getting ridiculous. I found a recipe for gluten-free flour tortillas on the Living Without website that calls for these flours:

1 cup white rice flour

⅓ cup potato starch

⅓ cup tapioca flour

⅓ cup fava bean flour

Any suggestions on what might work to sub for the fava bean flour? In addition to the other 3 flours listed, I have brown rice flour, mochiko (sweet rice flour) and sorghum flour, as well as Hodgson Mill all purpose flour and Pamela's baking mix on hand. Seems like I ought to be able to get away with using something else for just 1/3 cup (it's only 1/6 of the total flour-like content!)

I've read that bean flours tend to give at least the batter (and possible the final product) a slightly beany flavor. This is not a huge problem for gluten-free flour tortillas, since I'll mostly use them for mexican food, but I don't currently have that on hand and I have so many flours in my house at this point it's getting ridiculous. I found a recipe for gluten-free flour tortillas on the Living Without website that calls for these flours:

1 cup white rice flour

⅓ cup potato starch

⅓ cup tapioca flour

⅓ cup fava bean flour

Any suggestions on what might work to sub for the fava bean flour? In addition to the other 3 flours listed, I have brown rice flour, mochiko (sweet rice flour) and sorghum flour, as well as Hodgson Mill all purpose flour and Pamela's baking mix on hand. Seems like I ought to be able to get away with using something else for just 1/3 cup (it's only 1/6 of the total flour-like content!)

I would try the sorghum since all the other flours you have are starches and the addition of the fava bean/sorghum would give more body and texture.

1 cup white rice flour

⅓ cup potato starch

⅓ cup tapioca flour

⅓ cup fava bean flour

I would sub with brown rice flour or use the white rice flour. Does your recipe have xanthan gum? If you use a mix with it already in the mix, then the recipe could have too much. I use garlic or onion salt in place of regular salt for added flavor.

I would sub with brown rice flour or use the white rice flour. Does your recipe have xanthan gum? If you use a mix with it already in the mix, then the recipe could have too much. I use garlic or onion salt in place of regular salt for added flavor.

Purple -- I must know: are the cookies in your profile pic gluten-free? If so, I MUST have the recipe (pretty please with sugar on top?!?!?)! Yum!

(And yes, the recipe does call for xanthan gum as well, so I'd check to make sure the blend, if I used one, didn't have that.)

Purple -- I must know: are the cookies in your profile pic gluten-free? If so, I MUST have the recipe (pretty please with sugar on top?!?!?)! Yum!

(And yes, the recipe does call for xanthan gum as well, so I'd check to make sure the blend, if I used one, didn't have that.)

ah no...they are the Tollhouse cookies...they perfectly place each chip and nut EXACTLY where they want it before the cookie poses for a pic...haha! BUT I have a great recipe!

Found here:

http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/recipes_desserts\#softbatchcookies

and here:

http://www.recipezaar.com/244829

enjoy!

Fava bean flour is one of my favorites. The small proportion listed in the recipe shouldn't be too prominent in flavor, but what I often do is add some ground ginger, which I find works well to neutralize beany tastes. Do keep in mind that a good fresh bean flour should not smell or taste bad. If it does, then it is, and you should discard it.

As for a sub, that's kinda tricky. Most other types of flour do not have the characteristics of bean flours. You could try another type of bean flour, such as white bean flour or yellow pea flour. IMHO these have less of a beany taste. Other than that, buckwheat would be my next choice, followed by ivory teff.