This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Banana Everything!

bpack81

bpack81 Rookie

I've been making gluten free & corn free treats for my bf, who really likes banana flavored anything.

Banana bread works great. Got that one.

I have made homemade vanilla pudding, and blended fresh bananas into it. The pudding turned grey and nasty, looking like cream of mushroom soup. Ugh. So far, the best I can do is wait until we are ready to eat, then slice up bananas for the top of the pudding. Same thing with banana cream pie.

Now, he has also mentioned he would like to make some banana ice cream.

Does anyone have any suggestions on

(1) how to incoporate fresh bananas into a recipe without discoloration?

(2) a safe gluten free banana flavoring that I could add to recipes?

(3) a way to make banana ice cream?

(4) safe banana flavored products?

(5) good gluten free banana recipes of any kind?

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Melt some choco chips or any choco for that matter, cut bananas as desired, dip in choco, then nuts, coconut or not, then place on lined tray and freeze. Eat straight from the freezer.

Take bananas, slice lengthwise in half. Heat skillet w/ a little butter. Place bananas in and saute, without moving-maybe flip once, remove when just golden brown and softened. Serve on plain yogurt, maybe with a bit of honey and or chopped nuts, but just yogurt and banana are very good!

Any kind of citrus juice is helpful to protect things like apples, pears, bananas from browning.

Mack the Knife Explorer

You can add chopped banana to rice pudding while you are cooking it. It blends in and infuses the dessert with a subtle banana taste. You can do the same thing with porridge.

My favourite breakfast is gluten-free toast or waffles, spread with honey, topped with chopped banana and yoghurt, and cinnamon sprinkled on top.

jerseyangel Proficient

I love bananas! As was already suggested, citrus juice will keep the bananas from discoloring. I love the sauteed bananas in butter and brown sugar--I add cinnamon to it and serve over vanilla ice cream. I'll have to try it with yogurt.

Most mornings, I chop a banana and mix it into Greek yogurt and sprinkle with cinnamon and blueberries. If I do this at night for dessert, I add some honey to it.

I have made chocolate chip banana ice cream (I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker) by blending a couple bananas in the blender with the milk I'm using. Chocolate banana ice cream is good too--add unsweetened cocoa and sweeten as you like.

purple Community Regular

How about banana waffles?

Open Original Shared Link

My favorite way is with mini chocolate chips, a spoonful of whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.

Top any way you like. I use 1 and 1/2 cups milk in the recipe.

Smoothies made how you like them. Chocolate milk, banana, strawberries. Ingredients partially frozen. Whip in the blender.

irish daveyboy Community Regular

I've been making gluten free & corn free treats for my bf, who really likes banana flavored anything.

Banana bread works great. Got that one.

Now, he has also mentioned he would like to make some banana ice cream.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks!!

This one seems foolproof.

Best Regards,

David

Mizzo Enthusiast

Here's a couple ,

Slice a banana lengthwise while in peel. Spread P.Butter in center and wrap in plastic and freeze. When ready cut into slices and remove peel. Keeping the peel off just make it easier it has no other purpose.

Banana , yogurt, dash of milk and, Choc. or Strawberry sauce in blender makes a nice smoothie.

Cover banana in PButter, roll in granola or raisins and stick on bamboo skewer with pointy tip cut off. Stick makes for fun.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bpack81 Rookie

These are all great ideas! thank you guys so much!

@Mizzo - Bananas rolled in PB, honey and cereal are a favorite childhood treat of mine, although my bf, unfortunately, thinks that it's really nasty :huh:

@Dave - I will have to try the blended bananas, what a great idea esp since homemade ice cream takes so much planning and effort!

@Patti - did you have to eat the ice cream right away, or did it store ok without discoloring? I'm kind of timid after the "mushroom soup" incident... lol

How about a gluten free banana pudding mix, is there such a thing? I have other issues with making homemade pudding anyway (think it's related to potato starch vs corn starch, but that's another thread).

jerseyangel Proficient

@Patti - did you have to eat the ice cream right away, or did it store ok without discoloring? I'm kind of timid after the "mushroom soup" incident... lol

It stored fine in the freezer. It mellows a little bit, but does not discolor to the point of being unappetizing. :)

Juliebove Rising Star

I used to make a quick dessert with bananas. Put it in a large clear bowl or individual clear bowls so you can see the layers.

Put a layer of sliced bananas, then a layer of strawberries. Then a layer of frozen orange juice concentrate straight from the can, but allowed to thaw out enough to pour it. Continue to layer until you reach the top of the bowl and sprinkle with coconut.

I know of a vegan ice cream that is purported to be good but I haven't tried it. Freeze chunks of bananas then put them in the blender. You can add nuts or chocolate to this.

pamelaD Apprentice

I made these last weekend and they were yummy!

Pam

Archived