This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milky Way Candy Bar

M&M LOVER

M&M LOVER Newbie

ok, so i got diagnosed with celiac disease and one of my favorite candygars is milky ways and i cant find anywhere where it says whether or not there gluten free!!??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

ok, so i got diagnosed with celiac disease and one of my favorite candygars is milky ways and i cant find anywhere where it says whether or not there gluten free!!??

Regular Milky Ways are not gluten-free. They contain both wheat flour and malted barley.

Open Original Shared Link

DownWithGluten Explorer

Aren't dark chocolate milky ways gluten free? I thought so but have been too scared to try. The info should be available somewhere, though. I would avoid them though, personally.

Regular Snicker's are gluten free, I eat them with no problem. Not the same as a milky way, but...something, anyway.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Aren't dark chocolate milky ways gluten free? I thought so but have been too scared to try. The info should be available somewhere, though. I would avoid them though, personally.

Regular Snicker's are gluten free, I eat them with no problem. Not the same as a milky way, but...something, anyway.

Yes the dark milky ways are gluten free. I eat at least 2 a week.

• 2 weeks later...
Lily127 Rookie

So M&M's, Dark Milky Ways, Snickers and Butterfingers are good? That's a pretty nice selection. I'm sure there are more but these would tide me over nicely!! Especially M&M's. Yummm!! Though I'm still mad they changed the tan color to blue LOL

• 3 weeks later...
Juliebove Rising Star

So M&M's, Dark Milky Ways, Snickers and Butterfingers are good? That's a pretty nice selection. I'm sure there are more but these would tide me over nicely!! Especially M&M's. Yummm!! Though I'm still mad they changed the tan color to blue LOL

I hated the tan ones as a child. Would pick them out and try to throw them away when my parents weren't looking. For some reason I thought they tasted less chocolatey than the dark brown ones. Those were my favorite. Although I was happy they got rid of them, I did not like the blue ones. I just think blue food is wrong.

I have a friend who claims she can taste the red coloring in foods and that it tastes bad. Ever since then I think I do notice a difference with some things. Not things like cherry candy, but in things where the candies are all different colors but the same flavor. Like M & Ms. I do notice a difference.

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

Two things:

1) If ANY of your candy bars have HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) put it back on the shelf.

2) Stick with all natural dark chocolate bars (high in anti-oxidants)

~Wheatfreedude~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 months later...
nicole0392 Newbie

is it only plain m&m's or can you eat the peanut butter ones as well? if so what about reese's pieces?

modiddly16 Enthusiast

High Fructose Corn Syrup is fine in moderation....no one has to put their candy back on the shelf! I mean, you have impressive abs so I'm sure you don't eat candy but a lot of us don't look like that and tend to enjoy a snickers now and then....but you...you go on with your bad self and that rockin 100 pack! :P

Jestgar Rising Star

I'm on the 'HFCS is bad' bandwagon as well. I don't think it's a good idea even in moderation.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I'm on the 'HFCS is bad' bandwagon as well. I don't think it's a good idea even in moderation.

Toss me on that wagon also.

jerseyangel Proficient

I agree--I completely avoid it.

Juliebove Rising Star

I'm with you! Daughter knows if it's in there, to put it back.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I agree--I completely avoid it.

Me too!

MelindaLee Contributor

is it only plain m&m's or can you eat the peanut butter ones as well? if so what about reese's pieces?

Nope, don't go for the Reeses Pieces :( But peanut butter and peanut M&Ms are fine. Anything but the pretzel ( self explanatory :unsure: ) Reeses peanut butter cups are good, too. Hershey's plain and almond, regular size bars, too! (Guess you can tell which wagon I ride on :D )

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Reese's Pieces are fine.

• 6 years later...
FitnessPro Newbie

M & M Mars seems very reluctant to label their foods as Gluten Free. I love Milky Way Dark and Snickers but not real confidant in trying them with their reluctance.  On the other hand, one of my favorite candies is Goldenberg's Peanut Chews (the original dark chocolate version).  They are labeled as Gluten Free and they are Delicious!!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Welcome, you are repying to a thread that is 7 years old. I've been gluten free for a long time and Snickers and Milky Way Dark are two of my favorite candy bars. 

Archived