Monklady123

Traveling Overseas

Rate this topic

(just posted this on the "coping" board, before I realized there was a whole travel forum.. lol)

Good morning. This is my second post here. woot! lol..

Well, my question is about traveling. I've just been diagnosed (just posted my "intro" post here) and am already worrying about traveling. We're going to the beach this summer, but that doesn't really worry me since I'm the cook anyway. And it's just us in the house, so I don't have to worry about other people. But in the fall I'm going to Israel! I've always wanted to go there so this is a dream come true. But... a million questions!

First of all, the plane ride. I know I can request a gluten-free meal (if the airline has them, and I don't know what airline yet). But just in case they don't have them, or if they mess up, or if something happens, I should take food with me. What would you recommend? I know I can take unopened food with me, but what? I'm thinking nuts, granola bars (safe ones).... what else? I can't take yogurt and I bet not cheese either, because of the security. (and I imagine that any plane flying to Israel is even stricter). A friend suggested I buy those rice noodle bowls (apparently Trader Joe's has some that are gluten-free?) and ask the flight attendants for some hot water. Any other suggestions from those of you who are experienced in traveling on planes with this disease?

Then what about in Israel? I will tell the tour company about it, especially since they're providing both breakfast and dinner. But, I have no idea what else to do. We're going to be pretty busy so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to be shopping for different food. I'm trying to pack very lightly, clothes-wise, so I will have space in my checked bag (saving room for souvenirs, B) ). What would you all suggest that I bring with me?

Thanks so much! :)

We fly a lot with our gluten free kids and we have never had trouble with all of the food we bring on board (except fruits and veggies- USDA doesn't like that). We always bring St Dalfours salmon and even my non gluten-free husband loves it. Also we bring a few boxed meals from gopicnic.com. Both the boxes and the salmon are so convenient for the plane, airport, and in our backpack at the destination- they are ready to eat and there is no need for forks or plates, etc.

Also Thai Kitchen noodle meals are convenient and the flight attendants will happily bring you hot water.

You might want to get a note from your Md on his perscription pad about Celiac. I have one that explains I must bring my own food in order to eat safely. This helps in some places to explain why I need to bring my own food.