This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cereal Questions

Grace'smom

Grace'smom Explorer

Hi everyone

I'm less than a week into my 6 yo daughter's celiac diagnosis, so you may see several posts from me in coming days. I wondered if anyone could clear up some online contradictions I've seen regarding gluten-free cereal. Aside from Envirokids, and other clearly labeled gluten-free cereals, are there any mainstream cereals that are gluten-free? A celiac mom who I met yesterday in the market swore that Fruity Pebbles were gluten-free. I researched online, and someone posted that it was definitely not. The ingredients for both Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles do not mention wheat/oats/gluten anywhere. So I'm confused. I understand there is also a General Mills Dora the Explorer cereal out there that is gluten-free. Anyone know about the Fruity/Cocoa pebbles debate; and any other mainstream cereals that happen to be gluten-free? Please advise. Would love to find some "normal" off the shelf, kid-friendly cereals and save a few dollars, if she likes them! Thank you, Emily

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

I thought both Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles were gluten free. I don't like them so I'm not sure. There are several "Chex" cereals that are labled gluten-free. I only like the plain corn and rice Chex, and I know there was some issue w/ one of the newer flavored ones, but I know the corn and rice are gluten-free. I heard that KIX is now gluten-free.

I can't buy cereal... cause if the box says there are 10 servings in the box... that means there are 3 for me. I have major portion control issues when it comes to cereal, so I don't buy it. :blink:

Lisa Mentor

Most of the Chex varieties are gluten free now.

Open Original Shared Link

Darn210 Enthusiast

Most of the Chex varieties are gluten free now.

Open Original Shared Link

Also keep in mind that homemade Chex Mix makes a great salty snack.

We eat the Chex, the fruity pebbles and the Kix.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Hi,

The Cocoa pebbles is ok, that was part of our parenting test by our nutritionist. I don't know about the Fruity pebbles because we dont eat them. FYI our Walmart carries Envirokids at the cheapest price $2.98 box

Here is General Mills response when I asked about Trix and Kix.

Thank you for contacting us about gluten in Trix and Kix cereals.

General Mills offers several products that are labeled gluten-free. Please check the package label for the gluten-free statement on the front/side/back of the package. Only products that can be verified to be gluten free will be declared as gluten free on the label. It is important to check the product label each time you purchase a product because it has the most accurate information about the product in the package.

Because we constantly strive to improve our products′ quality and nutritional value, the most up-to-date product information is on the package the product is purchased in. For that reason, we do not distribute product information lists as they could quickly become outdated. A current list of products on the market that are gluten free can be found by visiting www.liveglutenfreely.com . It is important to check the package label before purchasing for the gluten-free statement on the front/side/back of the package to verify that the package you choose is gluten free.

For products not labeled gluten free, we will always declare gluten containing ingredients if they are added to the product. If the ingredient declaration lists wheat, oats, barley, rye, or derivatives of these grains, then the product contains gluten. Examples of derivative ingredients include: malt, barley malt, organic malt, semolina, Durham, triticale, and spelt. We do not include gluten containing ingredients in the ′Natural Flavors′ or ′Spices′ on the product ingredient list. If there are gluten ingredients in our products, those ingredients are always clearly listed.

If there are no gluten- containing ingredients listed in the product ingredient label, but the product does not make a gluten free claim, it is because we cannot fully assure that this product is gluten free. While we have not added gluten-containing ingredients, factors such as sourcing, conditions of manufacture, etc. do not allow us to provide the full level of assurance that a gluten free claim requires.

Basically they cannot guarantee cross contamination at factory level so there is no gluten-free status on them.

My daughter eats both and doesn't seem affected, you would have to try it and find out.

sb2178 Enthusiast

I've been eating Erewhon's Rice Twice, which I think is pretty much rice crispies. It's priced between $3.50/$4.00 per box (typical for cereal here). It's in a couple of stores I use, but don't know whether it's widely available.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

All Fruity, cocoa and cupcake pebbles are gluten free. Most of the chex are now, just make sure you don't get the wheat. Kix, Honey Kix and Berry Berry Kix are also gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived