Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LqrMan

Any Other Tall Celiacs Out There?

I am of average height (5'6) and while I was thinner in high school, I was never really that underweight. By the time I graduated high school, I was about the height I am now and weighed about 120lbs. I wasn't eating gluten free, then. Nowadays, I'm about the exact same weight and height, give or take a few pounds, and this is ten years later. So, basically I am slim, but I've really never been underweight, even while eating copious amounts of gluten.

Join eNewsletter

My toddler son with celiac disease is very big fo his age. Dunno if that helps you, but he has been int he 102nd precentile for hieght... yes thats taller then 102% of the childern his age. Dunno about these numbers LOL. He has recently leveled off inthe 90's precentile....

Me? Im a avg 5'11" (avg for a man) in a family where alll of my direct blood male realtives are over 6'2"...

- Vincent -

Join eNewsletter

Oh yeah, I'm also taller than most of the women in my family (mom and dad's side). Most of the women in the family are around 5'2-5'4....I guess I got lucky and hit 5'6. Nobody else in my family (either side) has any indication of Celiac Disease, either, so I don't believe their growth was stunted.

Join eNewsletter

I'm a little over 5'6" ... still growing, though. :D Pretty good considering I'm only 13! I was never short.. and when I most likely got Celiac, was when I grew 4 inches. :huh:

Lisa

lisa mccorkell

diagnosed on May 31, 2005

orange county, california

"Laziness will cause you pain." (Unknown)

Join eNewsletter

I'm 5' 2" and 105 lbs. My mother is Japanese and fairly petite, so that's not terribly abnormal. I was 5' 2" at 11 years old in the 6th grade - so I thought I'd be tall like my father. But I stopped growing around that time, but that's also about the time I began struggling with child depression.

My weight at it's lowest (due to bulimia) was in college at 80 lbs. My heaviest was right before I discovered I was GI - 125. I wasn't fat according to health books, but voluptuous. I'm happiest with my weight right now, except now that my voluptuousness is gone, I don't have any boobs anymore. But I can deal with that since I'm healthier now than I've ever been.

Join eNewsletter

Hi, Rob.

I am 48, 5'8 3/4"...117 lbs only...trying to put on some muscle weight...

Although I was a very picky eater as a kid (and skinny), and suffered many tummy-aches, I was obsessed with milk...I would 'steal it' from the fridge even! My mother ended up telling me I wasn't allowed to have any milk until I ate my dinner...which usually had gluten in it, of course ;-)

I do have osteopenia now, but I think that my body somehow knew to consume more dairy to make up for celiac disease, because I am not shorter than my sisters (5' 5", and 5' 7")...I do have 3 somewhat tall brothers, though (tallest is 6' 1").

My mom was 5' 7", and Dad was 6'.

My siblings have yet to be blood tested.

Gina

"Get busy living

or get busy dying."

--------------------------------------------------------------

gluten-free since Jan 1 '05

Positive response to diet within days, felt 'alive again' within 2 weeks

Feb 22 '05:

Diagnosed "Celiac Sprue, and IBS" by a GI doc, Dr. David Lin of Danville, CA

via blood testing 53 days after I began the gluten-free diet on my own:

Test results at 53 days POST going gluten-free were:

Gliadin AB IgA = 29.9

Since 30+ = positive for Celiac Disease when ingesting gluten, my doc

diagnosed me with Celiac Sprue then and there.

Gliadin AB IgG was 5.6 at that point

-------------------------------------------

Endoscopy with biopsies, AND colonoscopy with biopsies were done,

only to rule out other possible GI problems (especially intestinal

lymphoma) - My doctor told me the results indicated "no current damage

found" - and that as long as I stay gluten-free, I don't need another

biopsy for ten years.

Follow-up blood testing was done about one year later, by the same

Gastro doc, in Nov '05:

Gliadin AB IgA =26, Gliadin AB IgG <1

Blood testing done again by him, 5 months later (March '06)

He then told me my tests results were back to normal, and "Keep up the

good work! You can't argue with success!" :-)

I now see him one time per year for routine testing to make sure I am

staying gluten-free.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDTIONALLY:

I was also diagnosed as positive for antibodies and autoimmune

response to gliadin by Enterolab, via stool specimen taken 56 days

gluten-free

and I have one of the two genes that 'cause' Celiac Disease:

"HLA-DQ8," via Enterolabs cheek cell test kit

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I began a COMPLETE 'Gluten-free Casein-free' diet in Nov '05, due to:

"positive" for casein antibodies from Enterolab (in Feb '05)

and

"positive" for casein IgG (Elisa) via York Labs' finger-prick blood

test, Sept '05

and continued 'stomach pains,' although nothing compared to before

going gluten-free....

UPDATE: ALL remaining symptoms disappeared within weeks of going gluten-free&CF!

My PAST illnesses I believe are attributable to Untreated Celiac Disease:

Recurrent ear and throat infections in childhood

Frequent childhood stomach aches, underweight, picky eater

Tooth enamel problems/excessive cavities in childhood

Diagnosed in 20's with non-allergic rhinitis

Two spontaneous abortions (childless)

IBS diagnosis at age 28 (all better post going gluten-free and casein-free)

["Horrible" digestive problems from ages 32-47 - excess gas,

diarrhea gone post gluten-free!]

Reflux diagnosis at age 35 ('reflux' gone post gluten-free)

ADHD diagnosis at age 38 and at age 48 (not as bad with Gluten-free Casein-free diet)

Broke elbow in 2 places, age 39

Osteopenia diagnosed at age 44 (bone scan revealed thinning of spine -

taking Calcium and Vit D now)

Fibromyalgia diagnosis at age 40 (fatigue and pain all gone post gluten-free!)

Minor depression with anxiety diagnosed at age 42 (taking Paxil)

Skin cancer - squamous at age 43 and pre-melanoma at age 45

Adult acne (this, too, went away, but only after going dairy-free)

Topical dermatitis (so bad I needed steroid shots) diagnosed at age 46

(That's gone now, too!)

Excessive bruising of skin began at age 45:

I was told by derm doc AND family physician "That's just thin, aging

skin, nothing you can do about that" (GUESS WHAT?! ...NO unusual

bruising POST going gluten-free! I can now wear skirts and shorts

again!)

SO many years of being sick...

Hopefully, others will benefit from Science, and the increasing media

attention being given to Celiac Disease and gluten-based illnesses,

and will not have to go through what I, and others on here, have had

to go through.

Join eNewsletter

I'm 5"8' and I can't find jeans to fit my slender bod....long and lean (not proud, not bragging,) just would like to find a pair of jeans that will fit.

Any suggestions.....

Lisa B.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Lisa, I'm 5'10 and very slim. Old Navy makes small tall jeans and cords. However, my newest pair of jeans from Old Navy seems to be shorter than the ones I have previously bought. Hhhmmm?

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

Join eNewsletter

I'm 5"8' and I can't find jeans to fit my slender bod....long and lean (not proud, not bragging,) just would like to find a pair of jeans that will fit.

Any suggestions.....

Lisa B.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on just how much you want to spend on jeans, most designer jeans are made waaay long. I'm 5'3", but I've never found a pair of jeans that fit as well as my Paper, Denim & Cloth ones (definitely too long for me, should be perfect for you). And... if you know your size, eBay is a good place to get 'em for cheap.

Enterolab results: 14 October 2006

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

(Yay!)

gluten-free since May 2005

Currently soy and dairy free !

"You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound"

--Psalm 4:7

Join eNewsletter

Hi, Rob.

I am 48, 5'8 3/4"...117 lbs only...trying to put on some muscle weight...

Although I was a very picky eater as a kid (and skinny), and suffered many tummy-aches, I was obsessed with milk...I would 'steal it' from the fridge even! My mother ended up telling me I wasn't allowed to have any milk until I ate my dinner...which usually had gluten in it, of course ;-)

I do have osteopenia now, but I think that my body somehow knew to consume more dairy to make up for celiac disease, because I am not shorter than my sisters (5' 5", and 5' 7")...I do have 3 somewhat tall brothers, though (tallest is 6' 1").

My mom was 5' 7", and Dad was 6'.

My siblings have yet to be blood tested.

Gina

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you taking Fosamax or anything for the osteopenia? That seems to be helping me a lot. I'm only 5' 6, so I guess I'm about average height for a woman? I've also always been very thin.

Every day is a blessing.

Join eNewsletter

You are all tall to me! Ha ha! I am 5 feet, nothing! I have been chubby all my life. My son was only 5 pounds, 9 ounces at birth and he is only 5'6 at 23 years old. He is normal weight. I think he has celiac disease too. I am trying to convince him to get tested since I was dx three weeks ago.

Join eNewsletter

Guest cainepole

At 6" and 120 I fit the bill of tall w/celiac disease. Now, if only I could fit into pants. I'm male and a 26in waist isn't something you find even on ebay unless you also have shorter legs. From my limited experience, celiac disease dosen't seem to effect height directly. Only in indirect fashion as in malnutrition. Personally, no cavities and when broken my bones knit well, so my skelleton is strong but my infintesimal musculature is weak. Maybe I need to move to Ohio and try being corn-fed. :D

Join eNewsletter

Hey there! B)

Interesting topic! I'm 5'8" and have been thin my entire life with a whopping size nine foot.

Me too. :lol: 5'8, size nine feet :blink: and fourteen years old. I was diagnosed at two years old, so it's not like my growth was stunted for many many years, but I think I should be a bit taller than that. I like my height though, it's good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

-Jackie :)

14 years old

Diagnosed with celiac disease in 1993

Totally gluten-free since 1993

"All there is in life is wheat...Oh, wheat! Lots of wheat! Fields of wheat! A tremendous amount of wheat! Yellow wheat. Red wheat. Wheat with feathers. Cream of wheat!" - Woody Allen, Love and Death

Join eNewsletter

Hi Jackie,

You sound just like my daughter. Eileen is 12, almost as tall as me, about an inch shorter (I am 5'9") and she is already in a size 10 Ladies shoe. What the heck is in the food nowadays??????? Growth hormone??

:P

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Join eNewsletter

Hi Jackie,

You sound just like my daughter. Eileen is 12, almost as tall as me, about an inch shorter (I am 5'9") and she is already in a size 10 Ladies shoe. What the heck is in the food nowadays??????? Growth hormone??

:P

Karen

lol. where in t.o do you live? maybe I know someone u know cuz that's the way it works in Toronto area lol.

-Jackie

14 years old

"All there is in life is wheat...Oh, wheat! Lots of wheat! Fields of wheat! A tremendous amount of wheat! Yellow wheat. Red wheat. Wheat with feathers. Cream of wheat!" - Woody Allen, Love and Death

Join eNewsletter

Born and raised in Scarborough. We just moved out of the city (to Durham) last January. I swear there must be something in the water or food or air, but we sure are making kids big now-a-days!!! :P

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Join eNewsletter

Born and raised in Scarborough. We just moved out of the city (to Durham) last January. I swear there must be something in the water or food or air, but we sure are making kids big now-a-days!!! :P

Karen

Oh, never mind then. I'm in the Richmond Hill area. :)

-Jackie :)

14 years old

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter