This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Other Tall Celiacs Out There?

LqrMan

em2005 Rookie

I am of average height (5'6) and while I was thinner in high school, I was never really that underweight. By the time I graduated high school, I was about the height I am now and weighed about 120lbs. I wasn't eating gluten free, then. Nowadays, I'm about the exact same weight and height, give or take a few pounds, and this is ten years later. So, basically I am slim, but I've really never been underweight, even while eating copious amounts of gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

My toddler son with celiac disease is very big fo his age. Dunno if that helps you, but he has been int he 102nd precentile for hieght... yes thats taller then 102% of the childern his age. Dunno about these numbers LOL. He has recently leveled off inthe 90's precentile....

Me? Im a avg 5'11" (avg for a man) in a family where alll of my direct blood male realtives are over 6'2"...

em2005 Rookie

Oh yeah, I'm also taller than most of the women in my family (mom and dad's side). Most of the women in the family are around 5'2-5'4....I guess I got lucky and hit 5'6. Nobody else in my family (either side) has any indication of Celiac Disease, either, so I don't believe their growth was stunted.

redheadheather Explorer

My son age 6 is also tall for his age... maybe he's too young to have had many problems w/malabsorption at this point. He's 95% for height and 90% for weight.

PicturePerfect Explorer

I'm a little over 5'6" ... still growing, though. :D Pretty good considering I'm only 13! I was never short.. and when I most likely got Celiac, was when I grew 4 inches. :huh:

Lisa

• 1 month later...
Billygoat Apprentice

I'm 5' 2" and 105 lbs. My mother is Japanese and fairly petite, so that's not terribly abnormal. I was 5' 2" at 11 years old in the 6th grade - so I thought I'd be tall like my father. But I stopped growing around that time, but that's also about the time I began struggling with child depression.

My weight at it's lowest (due to bulimia) was in college at 80 lbs. My heaviest was right before I discovered I was GI - 125. I wasn't fat according to health books, but voluptuous. I'm happiest with my weight right now, except now that my voluptuousness is gone, I don't have any boobs anymore. But I can deal with that since I'm healthier now than I've ever been.

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Hi, Rob.

I am 48, 5'8 3/4"...117 lbs only...trying to put on some muscle weight...

Although I was a very picky eater as a kid (and skinny), and suffered many tummy-aches, I was obsessed with milk...I would 'steal it' from the fridge even! My mother ended up telling me I wasn't allowed to have any milk until I ate my dinner...which usually had gluten in it, of course ;-)

I do have osteopenia now, but I think that my body somehow knew to consume more dairy to make up for celiac disease, because I am not shorter than my sisters (5' 5", and 5' 7")...I do have 3 somewhat tall brothers, though (tallest is 6' 1").

My mom was 5' 7", and Dad was 6'.

My siblings have yet to be blood tested.

Gina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I'm 5"8' and I can't find jeans to fit my slender bod....long and lean (not proud, not bragging,) just would like to find a pair of jeans that will fit.

Any suggestions.....

Lisa B.

Felidae Enthusiast

Lisa, I'm 5'10 and very slim. Old Navy makes small tall jeans and cords. However, my newest pair of jeans from Old Navy seems to be shorter than the ones I have previously bought. Hhhmmm?

quantumsugar Apprentice
I'm 5"8' and I can't find jeans to fit my slender bod....long and lean (not proud, not bragging,) just would like to find a pair of jeans that will fit.

Any suggestions.....

Lisa B.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on just how much you want to spend on jeans, most designer jeans are made waaay long. I'm 5'3", but I've never found a pair of jeans that fit as well as my Paper, Denim & Cloth ones (definitely too long for me, should be perfect for you). And... if you know your size, eBay is a good place to get 'em for cheap.

Billygoat Apprentice

Being 5' 2", I've never found a pair of jeans that fit that I don't have to hem. LOL!

nogluten- Newbie
Hi, Rob.

I am 48, 5'8 3/4"...117 lbs only...trying to put on some muscle weight...

Although I was a very picky eater as a kid (and skinny), and suffered many tummy-aches, I was obsessed with milk...I would 'steal it' from the fridge even! My mother ended up telling me I wasn't allowed to have any milk until I ate my dinner...which usually had gluten in it, of course ;-)

I do have osteopenia now, but I think that my body somehow knew to consume more dairy to make up for celiac disease, because I am not shorter than my sisters (5' 5", and 5' 7")...I do have 3 somewhat tall brothers, though (tallest is 6' 1").

My mom was 5' 7", and Dad was 6'.

My siblings have yet to be blood tested.

Gina

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you taking Fosamax or anything for the osteopenia? That seems to be helping me a lot. I'm only 5' 6, so I guess I'm about average height for a woman? I've also always been very thin.

• 2 weeks later...
codetalker Contributor

Rob -

I am 54 YO and 6' 3". Always had an ectomorph body type. Never could bulk up but that has never been a problem.

Chuck

jrom987 Apprentice

You are all tall to me! Ha ha! I am 5 feet, nothing! I have been chubby all my life. My son was only 5 pounds, 9 ounces at birth and he is only 5'6 at 23 years old. He is normal weight. I think he has celiac disease too. I am trying to convince him to get tested since I was dx three weeks ago.

• 2 months later...
Guest cainepole

At 6" and 120 I fit the bill of tall w/celiac disease. Now, if only I could fit into pants. I'm male and a 26in waist isn't something you find even on ebay unless you also have shorter legs. From my limited experience, celiac disease dosen't seem to effect height directly. Only in indirect fashion as in malnutrition. Personally, no cavities and when broken my bones knit well, so my skelleton is strong but my infintesimal musculature is weak. Maybe I need to move to Ohio and try being corn-fed. :D

• 2 weeks later...
fisharefriendsnotfood Apprentice
Hey there! B)

Interesting topic! I'm 5'8" and have been thin my entire life with a whopping size nine foot.

Me too. :lol: 5'8, size nine feet :blink: and fourteen years old. I was diagnosed at two years old, so it's not like my growth was stunted for many many years, but I think I should be a bit taller than that. I like my height though, it's good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

-Jackie :)

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Jackie,

You sound just like my daughter. Eileen is 12, almost as tall as me, about an inch shorter (I am 5'9") and she is already in a size 10 Ladies shoe. What the heck is in the food nowadays??????? Growth hormone??

:P

Karen

Hi Jackie,

You sound just like my daughter. Eileen is 12, almost as tall as me, about an inch shorter (I am 5'9") and she is already in a size 10 Ladies shoe. What the heck is in the food nowadays??????? Growth hormone??

:P

Karen

lol. where in t.o do you live? maybe I know someone u know cuz that's the way it works in Toronto area lol.

-Jackie

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Born and raised in Scarborough. We just moved out of the city (to Durham) last January. I swear there must be something in the water or food or air, but we sure are making kids big now-a-days!!! :P

Karen

Born and raised in Scarborough. We just moved out of the city (to Durham) last January. I swear there must be something in the water or food or air, but we sure are making kids big now-a-days!!! :P

Karen

Oh, never mind then. I'm in the Richmond Hill area. :)

-Jackie :)

Archived