DG61

Canned Vs Dried

Rate this topic

Would welcome advice on whether canned or dried beans are safest. I have emailed companies for info re: processing facilities but wonder if there is any great difference/risk between using canned and dried.

I live in Dubai so have no access to mail order foods and all the beans sold here, both canned and dried, are made by companies who also produce gluten foods.

Thanks in advance.

Would welcome advice on whether canned or dried beans are safest. I have emailed companies for info re: processing facilities but wonder if there is any great difference/risk between using canned and dried.

I live in Dubai so have no access to mail order foods and all the beans sold here, both canned and dried, are made by companies who also produce gluten foods.

Thanks in advance.

I would go with the dried. The reason is with dried beans you can 'pick them over' before you soak them. To be on the safe side rinse them well and change the water a couple of times.

I eat both without problems.

richard

What brands of dried beans do you buy? i haven't been able to find any info online about CC issues with dried beans

What brands of dried beans do you buy? i haven't been able to find any info online about CC issues with dried beans

I don't buy any special brand...but I do pick them over and wash them well before cooking. I think the last bag I bought was from Food Lion.

No particular brand. I just wash them, which everybody should do anyway.

richard

I reacted to some Goya dried pinto beans my finacee made this week. We saw later on that the package says they 'may contain wheat' due to processing. They're the only new thing I ate this week so I'm positive it was the beans - despite careful rinsing, soaking, draining, and using fresh cooking water. It probably depends on how much you eat and how sensitive you are. I ate the beans several times before I got symptoms and thought to check the package. It could just be the goya brand, too - their website states that all their dried beans could be cross-contaminated.