kprince

Totally gluten-free And Symptoms Have Returned?

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone-

I have been gluten-free for 2 years and have NEVER cheated ( to my knowledge anyway) and all of a sudden, I am getting the same symptoms I had when I first was diagnosed with celiacs. No matter what I ate, my stool was a tan color and was a "fatty" stool. I was often constipated and never felt emptied. After seeing doing tests, we discovered that I had celiacs.

I had a daughter 15 mths ago and about 6 months ago everything satarted falling apart. I had TONS of drs., and tons of blood tests. Eventually, we discovered that I was hypothyroid and my ferritin level was down to 40 (which is what I assumed was making my hair TOTALLY fall out). At this point, all my levels are getting back to normal TSH at 1.3 and Ferritian up to 57 ( within 5 weeks), however my hair is still totally falling out ( no change) and it is not pregnancy related at this point.

Recently, I discovered that my stool is the same consistency again (although now it is light green...which is probably from the ferra sequal), but I know ( like that last time) that something is off.

On 4/1 I got my TTG IGA which was 16 (range <20) and TTG IGG which was 4 (range <20) and IGA was 161 (range 68-378)

Are there any other tests I should be doing?

Would a stool sample be effective?

Could another allergy be causing this?

I know ( like the first time) that something is not right and I want to figure it out again.

Thanks for any advice-

Kathy

Have you tried eliminating the most common co-intolerances, soy and casien? I finally got my hair to grow back and stopped new symptoms when I eliminated soy. You could also do Enterolab testing for those along with yeast and egg. It might be helpful.

For starters, you need to make absolutely sure you are consuming no gluten.

If you're sure, you need to talk to your doctor about small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), microscopic colitis, and refractory sprue. Fortunately, I don't think you see low anti-TTA antibodies with refratory sprue. Good luck.

Some celiacs can't eat processed gluten free foods, especially those containing grains. Try eating only non processed foods for a week and see if things improve. If so, you can add other foods one per week so that you will be able to tell what was bothering you.