MommyL

Needing Advice!

Rate this topic

Hi everyone

I am new here. I am 28 years old and I have had "IBS" for 10 years+. I have a brother with celiac. After having my second baby my IBS has continued along with extreme fatigue, depression and psoriasis. 7 years ago I had a biopsy and blood tests looking for celiac which were negative and last year again had a negative tTg-IgA and total IgA within the normal range.

I checked into Enterolab and got the following results- I just did the one test

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 35 Units (Normal Range is less than 10 Units)

so....

- try a gluten-free diet for 2-3 weeks to see if I feel better?

- stay off gluten forever?

- pursue more blood testing again- Genova labs can test for (tTg-IgA, tTg- IgG, total IgA and Anti-Endomysial IgA)

- do gene testing or more testing wit Enterolab?

I called my GI doctor and of course they made me feel like I was the crazy lady who sent my poop to Texas :)

They had never heard of Enterlab and had no suggestions at all.

Hello! And welcome!

My story is that I have no insurance. But a friend kept bugging me to try the diet and see how I felt. He was so right. I went off gluten for one month, and that is all it took. Gone were the GI issues, the constant bathroom runs, the draggy feelings.

I recommend trying the diet. Since you test negative according to the medical tests, that is the next step (barring biopsy). So what the heck? It can't hurt. But give it a few months before making your decision. My first few weeks were not great, but part of it was just figuring out what I could and couldn't eat. So they certainly weren't perfect. But after a couple of months, it became routine, and now it just is.

Best of luck. Don't be afraid to ask questions or come here for support. You might find yourself more upset than you realize when you go off gluten -- whether from withdrawal or something as simply as pissed over not being able to eat bread! :) It happens, and we've been there. So come on back.