Rate this topic

I'm wondering if other people have used agave syrup much in their baking. I'm thinking of getting "the gluten free almond flour cookbook" (Elana's pantry) but have heard complaints that agave syrup is worse than sugar. I made a recipe of hers' the other night and used some agave syrup, but found them to be much too sweet. Is there any advantages to using agave syrup over sugar? Or is it just overpriced and overrated?

I've heard it's just as bad as high fructose corn syrup in terms of the impact it has on your blood sugar, that it isn't really any healthier. In addition, the processing of it can be just as destructive as HFCS. So, if I were you, I'd just use what you think tastes the best, because agave, sugar, and HFCS are all about the same in terms of their effects on your health. (I use Truvia.)

I've heard it's just as bad as high fructose corn syrup in terms of the impact it has on your blood sugar, that it isn't really any healthier. In addition, the processing of it can be just as destructive as HFCS. So, if I were you, I'd just use what you think tastes the best, because agave, sugar, and HFCS are all about the same in terms of their effects on your health. (I use Truvia.)

Actually, agave syrup is an excellent alternative to sugar as it does not spike blood sugar levels....it's VERY low glycemic.

It is most definitely not worse than high fructose corn syrup and you can't even compare the two. It's also loaded with iron, calcium and potassium. I think you need to check your sources on where the agave is manufactured and like any other sweetener, it should be used in moderation but it really is not comparable to high fructose corn syrup. There isn't any version of that which is good for you.

I have never used it in baking so can't recommend that but it's good in coffee and tea.

Wow, after skimming various articles on the problems with agave syrup, I don't know if I even want to keep the bottles I have! I noticed that it's used as the sole sweetener in Elana's almond flour cookbook. I will certainly use less than she calls for, and for that matter, just substitute it with a different sweetener. I thought it tasted too unnaturally sweet...

Wow, after skimming various articles on the problems with agave syrup, I don't know if I even want to keep the bottles I have! I noticed that it's used as the sole sweetener in Elana's almond flour cookbook. I will certainly use less than she calls for, and for that matter, just substitute it with a different sweetener. I thought it tasted too unnaturally sweet...

maybe you could talk to a nutritionist or healthfoods personnel. i have heard that agave is realy good for you as well. some people use it like honey.

good topic!