StacyA

Alternative To Pumpkin In Pumpkin Cake/rolls?

Rate this topic

I don't know about elsewhere, but we haven't seen pumpkin pack in NE Ohio since the holidays. A store employee told me it had to do with a recall. My favorite handy dessert was making sheet cake from a pumpkin roll recipe, topping with the cream cheese frosting, then freezing individual pieces. They freeze great and even taste better eaten chilled. The gooeyness of the pumpkin, I think, makes up totally for the lack of gluten - so unlike other things I've baked, it wasn't crumbly.

Anyone know of a good alternative? It's not the right season for real pumpkins right now.

The pumpkins have not been recalled. There is still a shortage. We had a bad growing season and most of it was probably used at Thanksgiving. I've seen some organic pumpkin in cans.

canned yams? whir them in a blender to get the right texture?

pureed butternut squash is very similar in texture and flavor-you can save some of the work peeling and chopping by finding it cubes in some places like TJ's or Whole Foods-it comes in bags, or just get a whole one and cook however is convenient for you-just be careful, if you boil it that you don't end up adding excess moisture,resulting in a thinner puree-I used to use it as a substitute for pumkin in holiday pies

Whole Foods had organic canned pumpkin a couple months ago. It was the only place I could find it.

Sweet potatoes or garnet yams. Bake or microwave, and mash.

I know this doesn't help you right now, but I always stock up on pumpkin when it goes on sale during the holidays. Last year I got a good deal on a bunch of fresh pumpkins, made my own puree and froze it. Would you mind sharing your pumpkin cake/roll recipe? I love things with pumpkin.

Last year I got a good deal on a bunch of fresh pumpkins, made my own puree and froze it.

In case someone hasn't made thier own puree, Jack o' Lantern pumpkins are not the right kind. Usually, the cooking ones are smaller and will say something like "for pie".

I've used frozen winter squash, which is available at most grocery stores. It is already cooked too, so it's convenient. Pumpkin is a winter squash after all. In fact, I've read that some popular brands of solid pack pumpkin are not even made from the sort of squash we know as pumpkin. Some brands apparently use a blend of varieties.

I don't know about elsewhere, but we haven't seen pumpkin pack in NE Ohio since the holidays. A store employee told me it had to do with a recall. My favorite handy dessert was making sheet cake from a pumpkin roll recipe, topping with the cream cheese frosting, then freezing individual pieces. They freeze great and even taste better eaten chilled. The gooeyness of the pumpkin, I think, makes up totally for the lack of gluten - so unlike other things I've baked, it wasn't crumbly.

Anyone know of a good alternative? It's not the right season for real pumpkins right now.

Like others have said - a sweet potato steamed and mashed works almost exactly like pumpkin in recipes, but UNLIKE the others.... I happen to be in Northeast Ohio (Akron) and might have an idea for you to GET pumpkin! :P:D

The local Aldi's have started carrying canned pumpkin (plain AND pie filling) at least around here, again. I had been getting a tad bit worried myself, as I practically LIVE on pumpkin muffins for breakfast - and the pumpkin I had canned and the cans I had stocked up on at the holidays were starting to run a wee bit thin on my shelves. To my relief, I finally found it again - and in one of the cheaper stores in the area. If there is an Aldi's near you, might be worth a quick check. (And if not... Akron is a pretty spiffy town to visit. Heck - we have a gluten free pizza shop nearby, worth the trek? :D )

Like others have said - a sweet potato steamed and mashed works almost exactly like pumpkin in recipes, but UNLIKE the others.... I happen to be in Northeast Ohio (Akron) and might have an idea for you to GET pumpkin! :P:D

The local Aldi's have started carrying canned pumpkin (plain AND pie filling) at least around here, again. I had been getting a tad bit worried myself, as I practically LIVE on pumpkin muffins for breakfast - and the pumpkin I had canned and the cans I had stocked up on at the holidays were starting to run a wee bit thin on my shelves. To my relief, I finally found it again - and in one of the cheaper stores in the area. If there is an Aldi's near you, might be worth a quick check. (And if not... Akron is a pretty spiffy town to visit. Heck - we have a gluten free pizza shop nearby, worth the trek? :D )

Thanks so much!!! Akron is only 20 minutes from me, so I will definately look into it!! (And I've heard of Tommy's pizza. I need to check it out sometime.)

Thanks everyone for the squash tips, I don't know why I didn't think of that! I also plan to make some muffins. I absolutely need to get back in the habit of eating breakfast.