kschauer

Houston, Tx - Tex Mex

Rate this topic

Just wanted to share my experience with two Tex Mex places in Houston, TX

Lupe Tortillas:

I LOVED this place prior to having to go gluten free. I was so happy to find the staff knowledgeable and willing to help me. I always ask for a kitchen manager and at 3 different locations each manager has been super nice and accomodating. The chips are fried in a dedicated fryer and the fajitas are marinated in lime juice only. The managers have been more than willing to oversee my order personally, and they even heat up my corn tortillas in a separate pan away from where the flour tortillas are made and cooked. I've never had a bad experience there yet. :D

On the other hand:

Guadalajara Hacienda:

I went there during a slow time when the restaurant was not at all busy. I asked for a manager when I walked in. The hostesses gave me a blank stare and then said my waiter could answer any question I might have. I asked the waiter a few questions and it was very clear he didn't have any idea of how to deal with eating gluten free. He said the chips were fine, but yes they were fried with sopapillas. Yes the fajitas were gluten free but they were marinated in soy sauce. Again I ask for the manager...the waiter disappears for several minutes and comes back to say that I should get something grilled. Still no manager and still the waiter has no idea what I can eat there...Needless to say I won't be going back and I don't recommend this restaurant to anyone else.

Thanks for posting. We head out to Houston once in awhile since my husband grew up there. What I look forward to the most on a trip to Houston is TEX MEX! I can't get even decent Tex Mex in NYC.

We usually go to Chuy's. If you've heard anything, let me know. I have a feeling that it's not the safest place : ( and Lupe's is going to have to replace Chuy's in my heart.

Thanks for posting. We head out to Houston once in awhile since my husband grew up there. What I look forward to the most on a trip to Houston is TEX MEX! I can't get even decent Tex Mex in NYC.

We usually go to Chuy's. If you've heard anything, let me know. I have a feeling that it's not the safest place : ( and Lupe's is going to have to replace Chuy's in my heart.

Sorry I have not been to Chuy's since being gluten free.

I can recommend Freebirds Burrito - not exactly Tex Mex, but it is burrito, they are fabulous and they have an allergen menu :)